Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,829   Online: 854

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format

"Wired" Gets Analog(?)

This initially looked like the old photo.net one-shot "Chain Cammies" that never completed their trips. The difference here is that responsible grown-ups are involved. The comments on the article are worth a look.

http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2011/10...w-things-down/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like our APUG "Lets All Shoot 1 Camera" adventures, with a budget .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Sounds like our APUG "Lets All Shoot 1 Camera" adventures, with a budget .
    It smelled a bit of "self-promoter in philanthropist's clothing" to me with a hint of outright con. I'd much rather pass the hat for the Afghan box camera dudes, rather than fund the travels of a Pelican case and an old AE-1 or Spotmatic shot by celeb PJs with the photos stuck into a book.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a lot of money to send such a plain ol camera and lens combo with cheap color film around. The case probably costs more than everything inside it.

5 Cameras, each w/ 36exps = $15,000
    1 camera w/36exps = $3,000
    1exp = 83.33

Assuming he was buying cameras for this, at retail from keh the Silver bodied Canon Ae1 with 50mm 1.8 lens at bargain grade is only $72. (5) of them for $360.
    Or at Excellent grade @ $134 each for a total of $670.

$81.33 per exposure at BGN grade, or $79.61 per exposure with excellent grade cameras.

Checking USPS international shipping costs, the furtherest distance I could approximate from me (New York) was to Hong Kong for a cost of $44.40 for 3-5 day delivery. This was based on a box that is 1 foot square at 3lbs. First class mail would only cost $25.71 for the same size and weight.

Seems like he about doubled or tripled this estimate amount.
    Last edited by Newt_on_Swings; 11-26-2011 at 08:54 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: math in 1st part

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Sounds like a lot of money to send such a plain ol camera and lens combo with cheap color film around. The case probably costs more than everything inside it.

5 Cameras, each w/ 36exps = $15,000
    1 camera w/36exps = $5,000
    1exp = $138.88

Assuming he was buying cameras for this, at retail from keh the Silver bodied Canon Ae1 with 50mm 1.8 lens at bargain grade is only $72. (5) of them for $360.
    Or at Excellent grade @ $134 each for a total of $670.

$81.33 per exposure at BGN grade, or $79.61 per exposure with excellent grade cameras.

Checking USPS international shipping costs, the furtherest distance I could approximate from me (New York) was to Hong Kong for a cost of $44.40 for 3-5 day delivery. This was based on a box that is 1 foot square at 3lbs. First class mail would only cost $25.71 for the same size and weight.

Seems like he about doubled or tripled this estimate amount.
    Probably just an academic wise in the ways of grantsmanship, no?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think he should have thought about doing the project with 4x5 or MF rather than 35mm. I'd have like to see it done with the Polaroid 180 and 195 as the photographer then could see the results immediately (oh, well today, a couples of minutes that pre-digital meant instantly).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin