Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,425   Online: 918

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

'Star Wars' Camera Fetches Record $625,000 at Auction

The camera that lensed the Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope sold for a record $625,000 at an auction held Saturday in Beverly Hills. The sale shattered the record for both Star Wars memorabilia and vintage Hollywood film cameras sold at auction.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-record-269780

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That is amazing. I know a guy that has had one of these in his showroom for the last 2 years, and as of yesterday I think you could get it for $100,000. Also fully authenticated with pics of Mr. Lucas seated at the viewfinder. I'll bet the price just went up!

http://www.cinemagear.com/Camera%20D...PSR%20153.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would be interested to find out what the buyer intends to do with it.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess I would not expect too much 'in depth' reporting form anything called the "Hollywood Reporter" but here is a picture of a 1967 PRS (from the Panavision site). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1960S021811.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	42655

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I would be interested to find out what the buyer intends to do with it.
    If we are lucky, maybe the buyer plans to reshoot the last 3 Star Wars movies. But probably just the usual well-heeled collector who will add it to his collection.

Very interesting, the whole thing. Apparently Panavision doesn't sell too many cameras, they rent them out. I wonder what one costs (or cost) to buy, regardless of what it has filmed. I also like how the one link shows the camera being listed as filming "The Star Wars."

ic-racer: What was the matter with The Hollywood Reporter piece? You certainly weren't overcharged.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use it of course what else The Panavision PSR and it's predecessor the Mitchell are some of the best build motion picture cameras ever, extreme image steadiness the only drawback is the weight. Would love to shoot a movie with an old mitchell, arc lights, 1940's femmes fatales and Actors that were actually able to act.

Dominik

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bill Panavasion doesn't sell any cameras period, a pretty similar Mitchell can be had for under 4000 $ from the same seller as the Auctioned Panavision (cinemagear.com) a new moviecamera costs around 120 000 to 200 000 $

Dominik

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    The camera that lensed the Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope sold for a record $625,000 at an auction held Saturday in Beverly Hills. The sale shattered the record for both Star Wars memorabilia and vintage Hollywood film cameras sold at auction.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-record-269780
    I can see the Lucas HYPEr drive still has a stuck throttle.

s-a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably use it to shoot Star Wars XII, The Last Gasp!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Bill Panavasion doesn't sell any cameras period
    Yes, an interesting business model.... but they apparently sold, at the least, one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin