Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,501   Posts: 1,571,720   Online: 970

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Last year TwinLensLife had a review of Vision3 500T vs Portra 400 (link). Unfortunately, Vision3 is movie film and it requires different processing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Plenty of demand for MP film. Even when just little old me shoots a total POS, I'll still go through over 100,000 feet of the stuff.
    100,000 feet! So how much does a major motion picture go through?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    90 feet per minute at 24fps...
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Colley View Post
    90 feet per minute at 24fps...
    So for 120 minutes of finished film that's a little over 10,000 feet. The other 90,000 feet would end up on the cutting room floor in JBrunner's example. That's for what he described as a "total POS" film.

So my question still stands. If his ratio is 90% waste, what's the film usage for a major motion picture?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by langedp View Post
    That's for what he described as a "total POS" film.

If I know JB like I virtually think I do...
    I don't think he was ragging on the film but on HIS film making.
    A bit of self deprecating humor.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    HIE - I have 6.5 rolls in the freezer - Made some of my funnest pix with it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jbaphoto050122N17.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	43858

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    So for 120 minutes of finished film that's a little over 10,000 feet. The other 90,000 feet would end up on the cutting room floor in JBrunner's example. That's for what he described as a "total POS" film.

So my question still stands. If his ratio is 90% waste, what's the film usage for a major motion picture?
    The bulk of the film usage for the motion picture industry is in making prints for distribution. A major motion picture will do in excess of 10,000 prints to go to worldwide distribution, so for for a 120 minute film, 10,000 ft for one copy, 100,000,000 ft for all 10,000 copies. This is how the motion picture industry is keeping the film business alive.

This is short lived however, for a variety of reasons, movie theaters are moving to digital projection, which means that they won't need the film to distribute......

One interesting anecdote - after a film is completed, and they generate their master copies, most motion picture companies make a colour separated print - on black and white film. They are not sure how archival the various types of digital media are, but they have lots of experience with archiving film, and know that it is stable. By doing the colour separation, and keeping the archive as B&W, they will be able to generate new colour prints, on whatever media is in vogue hundreds of years from now.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    The bulk of the film usage for the motion picture industry is in making prints for distribution. A major motion picture will do in excess of 10,000 prints to go to worldwide distribution, so for for a 120 minute film, 10,000 ft for one copy, 100,000,000 ft for all 10,000 copies. This is how the motion picture industry is keeping the film business alive.

This is short lived however, for a variety of reasons, movie theaters are moving to digital projection, which means that they won't need the film to distribute......

One interesting anecdote - after a film is completed, and they generate their master copies, most motion picture companies make a colour separated print - on black and white film. They are not sure how archival the various types of digital media are, but they have lots of experience with archiving film, and know that it is stable. By doing the colour separation, and keeping the archive as B&W, they will be able to generate new colour prints, on whatever media is in vogue hundreds of years from now.
    As far as I know, Ilford produces no motion picture film.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    Thanks Mark. I pretty much knew about the prints for distribution although I didn't know how many copies were typically made. That's a lot of film. My question was more about the filming of the movie and how much film was used to capture the original scenes. I genuinely don't know. Is 100,000 feet typical? I know a lot never makes it into the finished movie, but 90% or more waste?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I know a lot never makes it into the finished movie, but 90% or more waste?
    Waste is not really the right term. A director will do multiple takes, film extra and different angles for editing coverage. There is no way to cut most (99.99999999%) of films without coverage. As far as feet of film, many films have gone through over 1,000,000 feet, "Apocalypse now","The New Wold","the thin red line", the first Superman - to name just a few out of many.

This is called the shooting ratio and although 1,000,000 feet equals 100:1 in ratio to film shot vs used, it is hardly unheard of. Wish I had that kind of budget...

below is a quick explanation
    http://www.cinematography.net/edited...otingRatio.htm

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin