Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,007   Online: 1043

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    Pass the Hat via PayPal.
    count me in.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    It is sad to see an American icon go like this, die by a thousand cuts.

Yes, very sad, but maybe the new company will listen to its customers like Ilford does. Maybe this new company will bring back some films on a semi-annual basis and not expect to make x billion/hour...if I'm reading this correctly.
    Last edited by jim appleyard; 12-23-2011 at 10:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    The global food and global pharmaceutical industries' growing need for high-quality gelatin far, far exceeds that of all the global photo-industries combined. That being said, as long as there are multiple suppliers of high-quality pharmaceutical-grade gelatins, there will be photographic film and photographic paper manufacturers that will continue to survive using a fractional percentage of the total global gelatin output. This is really a non-story, except for paranoid wall street journal readers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lajolla View Post
    The global food and global pharmaceutical industries' growing need for high-quality gelatin far, far exceeds that of all the global photo-industries combined. That being said, as long as there are multiple suppliers of high-quality pharmaceutical-grade gelatins, there will be photographic film and photographic paper manufacturers that will continue to survive using a fractional percentage of the total global gelatin output. This is really a non-story, except for paranoid wall street journal readers.
    This is exactly why Kodak selling off their gelatine business is so hard to understand: Why isn't Kodak doing brisk business making and selling gelatine to make money? Selling off what should be a profitable line of business sounds like a suicide move.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I live about 3 miles from the plant. They use to employ a lot of people. Now it's just a skeleton of itself

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I read this today on the train as well. ugh dropping in someone who specializes in their intellectual property at the helm of Kodak now only signifies the sell off will continue. Does no one there at Kodak understand you cant continue to recoup losses by selling off key components, you can only shed so much before you make the business inoperable. You need good products that are in demand, you need innovation, fresh ideas, and new talent, things that will get the business community to reinvest in them, and bring up share prices. The way they are handling this makes me mad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Will this change much for us?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think so, except that Kodak will be buying its gelatin from someone else. As Eastman Gelatine was a subsidiary company, EK would most likely have bought its gelatin from EG like any other customer, even though EG's profit from that would go eventually to its own bottom line.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Very few companies are vertically integrated anymore. They try to focus on what their core skill is rather than be distracted by everything else. I'd guess that Fuji nor Ilford have gelatin divisions. That said, I do wish that Kodak would sell their film division to someone who would see it as their sole business and feel they need to make it work. I think there is a viable, but smaller, business there to serve the photography market.

Shooter
    35mm
    Not as current but this article on Reuters will be somewhat interesting..

As Kodak struggles, Eastman Chemical thrives

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...+International
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin