Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,755   Online: 854

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderman View Post
    Proctor and Gamble, who is headquartered in my adopted home town, has spent the last 10 years slowly selling off or discontinuing it's 'second tier' brands and any products that didn't bring in $1 billion (thousand million,
    Ed
    GE did the same a few years back, dumping any business where they were not either Number 1 or Number 2 world wide. These days any consumer products you see with the GE name are probably made under licence. they even bought RCA (founded by GE but sold off for anti-trust reasons) and promptly split it up. Selling the TV set business to Thompson of France, and keeping NBC, Buying Universal studios from Vivendi and then a few years later selling NBC Universal to Comcast. In GE's case they make more from Banking and Leasing than they loose in such manoeuvres.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not to get too off topic but this was on the Champion website....
    "Champion Photochemistry Incorporated ("CPI"), to acquire the photochemical assets and operations of Kodak's Rochester site in the United States. A multi year photochemical supply agreement is part of the deal with Kodak for the supply of photochemicals to the US and Canada

How long is this "multi year" agreement?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    Geez, if their market cap gets any lower, we could take up a collection and buy them out.
    With 269,000,000 shares outstanding, the market cap at today's $0.69 close is about $186,000,000. Pocket change.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What worries me a lot about all this, and the selling of the gelatin business, is that it could seriously compromise the quality of Kodak's end products. Isn't it likely these other companies will cut quality to shorten payback periods? What the hell does a food company know or care about the intricacies of photographic-grade gelatin?

I've used Kodak films and chemistry along side Ilford's stuff all my life, and theoretically would until the bitter end, but one of the major reasons for that has always been the consistently high quality. I've never experienced a flaw or failure that couldn't be traced to my own error. This is one of the great things about these products, compared with all that rehashed fake crap from Europe people are so into these days, mostly because the packaging has resurrected once great brand names like Adox and Agfa.

Certain Kodak products, like TMX/TMY2, and Tri-X 320 are unique enough that there are no direct substitutes. And if quality goes to shit, I'll have to leave them behind. Never thought I'd hear myself say I'd potentially switch away from a Kodak product while Kodak was still making it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't think Kodak's quality will suffer. They've been making film long enough to know what they need in a gelatin and I'm quite sure they will rigorously test any gelatin (or any raw materials they buy from outside) before committing to a film run.

Quality is the least of my worries.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin