Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,327   Posts: 1,537,003   Online: 1194

Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 81213141516171819202122232428 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    While recognising that it may not be possible, I would be saddened if we were unable to accommodate willing participants who find the timeframes too tight.

Trotkiller raises a valid point regarding his reliance on shared facilities. Moreover, if we are including NZ, we also need to allow time for the vagaries of the international postal service/s. If it allows more members to participate then my preference would be for a 6 or 8 week gap from close of sign-up to due date.

Similarly, if a longer "printing time" means better quality pictures, then I'd rather have a smaller number of exchanges per annum and better quality work.

Just my AUD$0.02 (which is presently worth more than US$0.02! - time to order some more film from Freestyle!)

Regards

Carey Bird
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~cbird/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would agree, quality over quantity. Imagine if you were the guy in a position where you couldn't present your best work because of time constraints, you'd opt out of the exchanges because you couldn't present something you really felt was worthwhile. We could miss out on seeing some great things. Just a thought.

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm gonna side with quality here too. I never did get a chance to reprint my work and had to submit stuff I wasnt necissarily happy with - everyone got a note saying they're due another print from me in the future, to make up for it. While everyone knows the deadline and should work towards achieving that, you arent going to coordinate 20 people and not have hiccups. And it doesnt take much for a darkroom session to go pear shaped either, and a lot of people may only have the oppertunity to print once or twice in that one month.
    Most exchanges on APUG run on a 3 or 4 month cycle. The postcard exchange has a month each for Signup, Printing, Mailing, and then a month's rest before you do it again.
    More time would encourage more participation and a better standard of work, and help to keep the mental health up in between. It IS just a sharing of work amongst friends, after all.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    35mm
    I too would appreciate a bit more time so I could get help of the more experienced in the darkroom. There is no need to run a print exchange like a quick turn around machine. This is all supposed to be fun ?

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I prefer a quick turn around me-self. I'm a serial procrastinator anyway, so it doesn't matter how long I get I'll still do it at the last minute.

LET'S SEE THESE PRINTS!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe Tim is sick, so the prints going out might be delayed anyway. But lets keep the swap fun, and operating as a relaxed affair.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    I believe Tim is sick, so the prints going out might be delayed anyway. But lets keep the swap fun, and operating as a relaxed affair.
    I agree that this should be fun. And I am happy for a longer time frame for the printing stage of future exchanges if that is the consensus. But I think any significant relaxations of the timetable (ie more than a few days) after people have already committed to that timetable (and others may have pulled out because they felt they could not commit to the timetable), should be avoided if at all possible.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    Ment to ask you how your feeling ? Seems a few of us who went to the Chinese restaurant have had crook guts for over a week now. But you & Tim went camping in a down poor.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hm, yeah in retrospect shouldn't have gone camping. I think I have Glandular Fever so probably not the food that would have caused that. Have been off getting blood tests and xrays etc. I have a massive migraine and finding it difficult to stay awake. (as someone from work said, probably just a man-cold).

So sorry, I'll try not and let the exchange down, shouldn't be too much of an issue I think, I need something to do while I'm off work!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tim - I hope you don't have glandular fever. I had severe glandular fever over 15 years ago - don't ask how long it took to get over the worst of it..but it wasn't counted in weeks...

Thanks for doing the print exchange - I'm sure we can wait until you are up to doing the exchange..and if you need help ask - I'm sure someone will be able to help.

As for future print exchanges - I think no matter how much time you give people there will be some people who will change their mind, or leave things till the last minute - thats just human nature....

I think we need to set the closing dates for 3 print exchanges next year - with a sign up say 8 weeks before that date, with sign up open for 2 weeks. That way people can plan and print ahead of time, of decide when the exchange opens to sign up if they have the time.

6 weeks should be long enough for people to get prints to the organiser...even if they are overseas, or don't have regular access to a darkroom..

Cheers

Andrew

PS - as we allow commercial & inkjet prints if you run out of time you can always get someone else to make the prints for you......I did, but then again..I don't have access to a color darkroom at the moment either :-)
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin