Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,672   Posts: 1,481,816   Online: 1133

Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91314151617181920212223242529 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We allow inkjet prints?

I didn't know that, I though this was an analogue photography happening.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    inkjet - glicee - whatever - yes it's allowed - I'm sure you read the rules at the start of the post when you signed up?

You HAVE to take the original image on FILM...if you don't have access to a darkroom but want to participate then why be left out?

I would have been left out - as I shot my image on slide film and haven't printed Cibachrome for years....my prints were made on a Fuji frontier - but thats only because the other printer wasn't working in the lab at the time I got my prints made....
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just read the rules carefully, it appears that inkjet prints are acceptable.

So be it.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If commercial (Frontier) prints weren't allowed I couldn't afford to take part, as I have no darkroom currently, and the local commercial darkroom lady charges $15 per 8x10... Whereas the frontier prints I made cost $2.50 each and they were still originally shot on film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    $15 per 8 x 10 in a community darkroom? You are being ROBBED.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know what a community darkroom is, but I call this place a 'commercial' darkroom - I bring her a piece of film and get prints back. I can't do the work myself

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm... this brings up an idea (possibly worthy of it's own threead, but since we're on the topic...): I was having a chat about darkrooms etc with photographer I was working with a few months back. I'd just moved house and so was in the process of re-setting up my darkroom in a new space. We got chatting about the (seeming) lack of available community darkroom space, and how someone like her, who now shoots mostly digital because of work, but dables in the odd roll of film, wouldn't know where to go to get any prints done, and so ends up doing nothing with them.

This brought about the idea of making my darkroom available to folks in the area who have an interest, but no facilities, so they can have occasional access to a darkroom as they need. Is this anything anyone else is doing? I'll be the first to admit that my darkroom is far from being very well equiped, but with the two enlargers just about anyone can have a play at prints up to about 16x20 (the low ceiling in my shed won't let the enlarger head raise any higher than that).

I've had a couple people stop by and make themselves some prints that they may not have otherwise been able to get without paying a small fortune (ie, $15 for an 8x10!). In future exchanges, I'd be happy to make my humble facilities available to anyone who doesn't have access to their own setup. Any thoughts on this kind of arrangement? I just feel lucky/blessed/fortunate to be able to have my own setup, and so am happy to share the wealth. Of course, stranger danger should be heeded...

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh, sorry, I thought she was charging you $15 to print your own 8 x 10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    $15.00 NZ is very cheap for a commercially produced 8x10" print, do the maths carefully and think how you would print a stranger's negative and what exactly it would cost you in time, materials, leaving some room for a modest profit.

In my opinion at that cost, there is no profit, that is a very cheap price.

If you are talking more than one identical print from the negative, as in 10 or more copies, then the $15.00 per print for 10 or more, would be more like it.

I usually take three sheets of paper to make what I call a commercial standard print from a customer's negative. The first sheet is used up getting correct density, or what I believe is correct density, as well as close to ideal contrast. The second is a full print with what I believe is correct, the third is usually commercial quality, not best possible quality, but commercial quality.

$15.00 NZ is starting to look cheap, don't you think?

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    This brought about the idea of making my darkroom available to folks in the area who have an interest, but no facilities, so they can have occasional access to a darkroom as they need. Is this anything anyone else is doing? I'll be the first to admit that my darkroom is far from being very well equiped, but with the two enlargers just about anyone can have a play at prints up to about 16x20 (the low ceiling in my shed won't let the enlarger head raise any higher than that).
    I just feel lucky/blessed/fortunate to be able to have my own setup, and so am happy to share the wealth. Of course, stranger danger should be heeded...
    You know what this exact topic was what got me started posting on APUG. I read someone needed a darkroom and I had one that was not being used. Seemed to be a waste to me so I offered it up to the person in need, and you know what I was greater with silence. I put it down to being a country kid living in the big smoke and city folk don't know how to accept this sort of thing from a stranger. Guess I will never know. I also see it as a way to meet new people and possibly learn new things - is this wrong?

The darkroom I have is tiny at 9 sqm. But I have running water and drainage something I managed without for 10 years. I still don't have a deep sink only an old kitchen sink, hot water is still by electric jug or brought in by the bucket. But I am still able to churn out everything. The only format I don't process is colour 16mm cine film - got to reduce the number of formats I work with as I will save money.

So if I was to still want to make my darkroom available? I have no idea how I would go about it, any ideas from all of you?
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin