Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,204   Online: 952

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

A/NZ PX Round #3 - How do we want to run it & sign-up?

Ok everyone, I have started this thread to make it easy for me to track our ideas for the future exchanges.

We can also do a sign-up on the fly as well in here.

So thoughts every one...
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good one Andy. Once the dates are set I'll pop in and let you know whether I'll be able to participate in this one or not, with our baby due any day now, I don't know just WHAT life is going to be like come exchange time!

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Andy,

What are your preferred options for future rounds?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Count me in Andy!
    I like the way the Large Format forum one works, with groups being made (and prints sent out) as soon as they get to ten! This would expedite things, but fall down with 11 people!!

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Andy,

What are your preferred options for future rounds?
    My preferred options are (and these are not the rules by any stretch of the imagination);
    1. 4 rounds a year, but this might be a stretch for others so please let me know.
    2. I have looked at a number of other exchanges and the common theme seems to be the sign up period of 1 month. I am not fussed if we fall in sync with other exchanges or we look at moving mid month to mid month. I am looking for guidance here.
    3. We follow similar practices as the last two, in that we all mail into me, with a prepaid return mailer for me to distribute the group prints back out. This minimises cost for everyone. TimK how did we manage the inclusion of our brothers and sisters over the Tasman?
    4. For me to run 4 prints or 10 makes no difference, but I have found the inclusion of stiffening boards and a plastic bag really pushed the limits of the prepaid envelopes when 10 prints are done. Some thing to consider.
    5. All else the same. IE if the prints originated on film and then taken to a lab for printing, we get what we get as not everyone has the luxury of being able to process everything film format they use from film to print.
    6. Stages I foresee are sign-up [4weeks], assign groups (number per tba) [less than a week], print and post and during this stage if something crops up that will prevent you from meeting your commitment you advise me, so alternatives arrangements can be made [timing tba here], return prints to participants and follow up on stragglers [max 1 month].
    7. Once we decide in the number of rounds per year I would like to publish them. Planning make my life a little easier so that when the unknown bites I am able to better prioritise.

I have also thought about requesting that this forum be moved to member organised threads, because I don't know to ensure we don't miss the potential participants from New Zealand. I have kicked of a new forum over there linking to this one.

In so far for round #3 are;

1. Munz6869
    2. Oxleyroad

Sign-up will be through to 6th February and before then we will agree on how many exchanges we want through the year.

Lastly, SteveR congratulations are in order.

Think that about covers it from me , so how about the rest of you...
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Count me in.

Would people feel that a theme for each one would be pushing it?
    I feel if I was to work to a theme, ie portrait, (or even then an idea or concept like 'music') it would stretch my horizons and add some excitement to the whole process. Either way, I'll be keen to keep participating.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll setup a dedicated for for this tomorrow.. stay tuned

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm interested in continuing but have a few comments:

I have no problem with what Oxleyroad suggests, but I'm mindful that it doesn't deal with the problem of "laggards" as we have experienced. If recent experience is indicative of future performance then aiming for 4 exchanges per year may be a bit optimistic. I think kicking off a new round before the previous round is sorted might be asking for difficulties.

Four times a year might be pushing it for me - if it gets that frequent then I may sit out periodically and participate less frequently. I'm just a learner and would prefer to aim for quality over quantity.

My real interest is in analogue image capture and printing (i.e. trad wet darkroom work). I realise that not everyone has access to those facilities so I'm happy to accept 1 or 2 inkjets per round. But if I feel photoshop and inkjet printing is dominating then I'll cease participating. Sorry that's just who I am - a grumpy old man.

I appreciate tomalophicon's suggestion regarding "themes", but sorry, I'm not interested. My photography is a very personal thing that is restricted exclusively to what *I* want to do. I'm not particularly interested in exploring new areas or subject matters at the behest of others - I only do so if they move *me*. So if I participate then its on my terms. That is: you take what you get from me - and I happily accept what I receive from others (even if it is inkjet) :-)

Just my $0.02.

Lastly, thanks to Oxleyroad for offering to co-ordinate this.

Cheers

Carey Bird
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~cbird/index.html
    Last edited by Seabird; 01-11-2011 at 05:14 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: a little too much single malt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm keen to participate.
    4 per year might be too many - how about 3 per year?
    Max size 8x10
    I do hope the prints are predominantly analogue. I understand the difficulties with colour printing having lost access to a colour darkroom myself last year, however inkjet prints are not of great interest to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd like to participate in this round, but I wont have access to a darkroom for another month and a half yet. So it depends when we start. The 8x10" size is fine by me, if we want to do larger works we can always exchange one-on-one. 4 Rounds a year would be too many for me, I have other photographic commitments, so I would be sitting out periodically.
    I'm with Carey on the themes, that would send me running for the hills. Maybe a seperate "shooting assignment" exchange on the side?
    As always, I'm fine with digital means of printing as long as the source was analogue.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin