Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,743   Online: 1032

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    Ive just read this, your saying your print was developed in Vit C and Washing Soda only. What mix and have you try film?
    Yes. With film I use a smidge of KBr as that is what was recommeded. Oh yes that means in the case of these prints there was also KBr present as I used old film developer. But otherwise I don't bother with the KBr. Got all my info on Caffenol from APUG.

As for the mixes see this site it is brilliant

http://caffenol.blogspot.com/. Search for the recipes on the site. This site is all film, but I use the same for film.
    Last edited by Oxleyroad; 08-29-2011 at 05:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The other week we mixed up a couple of liters or Caffenol CCM in the darkroom. One guy processed a roll of film using 600ml & another guy decided to use the rest to process some paper. He was using Ilford MGIV fibre base & it developed nicely. He was doing comparison prints in Dektol and there wasn't much difference in appearance. I'm not sure if he had to alter the print times but I'm pretty sure dev times were longer in the caffenol. There was a paper stain but I think it washed out with a long wash. Will check next time I speak to him.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Opened my prints last night .

Greetings all ;
    I have been away with our caravan for the past 5 weeks in South Australia ,Just caught up with my mail that was collected by next door neighbour.

Hope to find some time to look at the images in the next few days .
    ................................ Cheers Barrie B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I keep forgetting to comment on these - have been distracted with tax and car stuff. Overall I'm pleased with the selection and plan to take part in the next one. I agree with AndrewK that these print exchanges are a good opportunity to try new things and give others a glimpse at what we are working on. Interesting that some of the prints I received are working along similar lines to some of my current interests, e.g.
    Tomalophicon - with the soft focus lens. I love diffusion and recently bought a meniscus lens in shutter to use on 4x5. The effect works well with glowing highlights as seen in this print of feathers and a pewter mug.
    Oxleyroad - I've done a bit of caffenol processing and just ordered 1 kilo of Ascorbic acid via the German ebay seller mentioned at the caffenol blog. Will be about 1/3 of the best price I can get in Australia. I have only processed film in it but as mentioned previously I watched a guy printing in some left over caffenol a few weeks back. That was fresh stuff so it is interesting to see that old previously used stuff still works. The print looks great, deep blacks and a nice tonal range.
    AndrewK - I'm also into pinhole photography and own a Holga WPC although I haven't used it for awhile.
    I love the Graflex camera and photo. Shame about the paper dev - I can see it was exhausted and didn't give you good blacks. You could have tried some caffenol! I'm a bit confused about the film - are you cutting 5x7 down to 4.75x6.5?
    Kevin C - nothing experimental about this one, just a good straight photograph. I like the incongruity of the palm trees and the human clutter - chairs and small temple. It's well printed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sorry, I've been meaning to comment on the photos I received, and will do so now. (I think I neglected to comment last round) -

Tomalophicon - Feathers in a tankard. I like the composition and the minimal depth of field. The out-of-focus areas suit the subject of the feathers very well. I also like the the way the material under the tankard catches the light and the hint of slight detail in the background. Nice work.

Oxleyroad - Lizard. The slight sidelighting captures the texture of the lizard nicely whilst also providing a shadow which gives the lizard depth and enhances the composition. A great blend of textures and light. I must try some caffenol, not just with my breakfast.

Michael W - untitled lith print. Great work. I know how difficult it is to get the developer to the right point where it has the necessary mix of fresh and old, and then to snatch the print at the ideal time, and you have nailed it here. You have got it to the point where it gives that lovely grainy look.

AndrewK - Photographers little helper, and In A Spin. Wow, not one but three prints and a detailed description. That beautiful old Graflex Press camera certainly has imparted a special look to the photo. The second version does look better, with a bit harder contrast. And thanks for the second photo, In a Spin. Pretty original idea and a very different perspective, not to mention great hand-holding by the model/photographer.

Kevin Caulfield - Karon Beach, Phuket, Thailand. Apologies to all for the bit of fluff in the bottom left. I was walking along the beach and spotted this little temple. I took two versions, one closer and then this wider view which gave the temple better context in its beach setting.

Thanks to all for participating and special thanks again to Oxleyroad for continuing to coordinate this.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Group # 1 - Comments on prints .

In no order :-
    Steve R. Rather nice shot of the old pier / wooden groin; well seen and photographed.As there was no 'information sheet ' with your print I assume that this is a wide angle shot . Good tones , and likely to be a slow shutter speed .
    munz6869 ,I like the perspective achieved with that road in the distance . A well printed image , there must have been other great prints waiting to be found in that area .
    SMbooth ,Shane , a very appearling pinhole image , the central composition really suits this image , and the toning really sets is off .
    hoffy ,Ashley , although this image is well printed the composition / subject matter does not grab me .
    Oxleyroad .A very well executed 'close-up ' , great detail and very well printed and presented.
    Barrie B. -- Myself . In one of the earlier postings there was a comment about the 'DIY' toning of my print. I can`t rember what formulae I used : Last October I attended Tim Rudman`s Workshop : 'A day at the bleach ' at Gold Street Studios , Trentham East , and I now mix up three different bleaches and have various dilutions of toners / redevelopers in my darkroom. I am trying out lots of variations . I time I will post some of my results .
    .................................... Cheers Barrie B.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    anks for the comments guys.
    Bring on the next exchange.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Round #5 Sign up.

OK OK. I see some are chaffing at the bit for the next round. Well follow this LINK.
    Last edited by Oxleyroad; 09-08-2011 at 01:39 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Fixed the link
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi guys, I'm still here, have just been Internet-less for the past couple months! Will sit down and write up some thoughts on the weekend, as well as the info sheet for my pic

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Firstly, details on my print:

Apug Name: SteveR
    Image Title: Grove Yard
    Image Description: This picture was taken for a collection I'm doing that is loosely based around the passing of time. This one shows one of the old jetty's near Ocean Grove, standing still while time (yes, and tide...) move around it.
    Camera: Wista 45 metal field
    Lens: 135mm Schneider xenar (4.7)
    Exposure: f8 for around 2.5 minutes
    Film: FP4
    Development: Film-Xtol 1:1, 10min @ 20c. Paper: Bromophen 1:3 @ 20c
    Paper: Arista Private Reserve (ie Adox MCP312)
    Toning/Special Process: I did a little selective bleaching to bring out some of the higher values in a couple of the pylons (cn you tell which ones? I hope not!). Ended up bleaching with Part A of a Sepia kit, because I had been waiting on more Pot-Ferry but it just didn't arrive in time. The process was a little less controllable, and probably not as nice looking in the final print compared to using the 'proper stuff', but still, it did the job.

The print was then selenium toned @ 1:30 for three minutes. They were all ready to be spotted to get rid of those lovely white chunks (I've been having lots of 'spot' issues lately, after years of spot-free prints), but the deadline loomed and I just ran out of time.

Now, on to the others:

Oxleyroad:
    Firstly, thanks for coordinating the exchange!

I wouldn't have guessed that your print was done in Caffenol, not that I have ever used it myself, but I would have expected it to be 'grittier' and with more of a warm tone to it. It looks really good for developer that is 'meant' to be well past it's use-by-date! I like that the picture itself looks very fine and intricate, with the texture of the fungus, but up close it's very grainy and doesn't look as detailed (thanks to the 400 ISO film?). I like the way it kind of tricks me.

Hoffy:
    I'm a sucker for night architectural shots, so I loved this as soon as I saw it. The Koni-Omega is a 6x7, isn't it? I love the detail it's given you in the rivets under the bridge, down to the stones and right up to the balustrade, which seems to glow. You say you tried to hold back some areas under the bridge to get more detail in, I love the way it still fades off into black. Very well printed.

SMBooth:
    This is great. I've got an Agfa Clack converted to semi (f74) pinhole, you've inspired me to get it out again. I really like the way you've kept detail in the sky and let the bottom left just fade out. I know this is your final composition, but I'd be interested to see the original 6x7 you captured, purely for the fun of seeing what you saw originally that made you take the picture, and how it evolved into this. Or, did you see the picture as a square at the time? I really like the edges of the print, somehow suits the picture, as does the top-biased border, and makes the whole presentation a piece in itself, rather than just a print on some paper. What made you print lower on the page, rather than the 'standard' of printing higher?

Munz6869:
    Yep, sure looks Rickety! I like your slightly-off-centre composition, it makes it 'simple, but interesting'... if you can imagine what I mean. I like that you've shown the transition from the road to the bridge, but looking at the way the bridge seems to hang in the air on the far side, I'd be curious to see how the 'feeling' of the picture would be changed in on the bottom and right just a little, taking out the road and road-sign? Just a passing thought when thinking "How would I treat this if it were my picture", what do you think?

Barrie:
    Great picture, I love the tight crop that shows us lots of the details of the scene, but nothing of the whole scene itself. It's (to me) a bit of a "here's a few details, now fill in the blanks and write your own story around them" kind of picture, which I really like. It's a basic, well executed picture that, even though it's in open, light daylight, just screams "Mystery!", I really like it. I also like that the picture can work as an abstract in every orientation, the composition just works. On a technical note, I find it very interesting that the image tone doesn't seem to have carried over to the paper border much. Is this basically because you've kept your highlights (and extreme highlights, in te top right area) well controlled and maybe a couple stops down from base-white? If that's the case, I think it's great that all the tones seem to be represented, even though everything is kept within a fairly narrow tonal range. That's something I really struggle with.

...that's all folks.

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin