Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,684   Online: 812

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your mistake was to ask a manager to do real work. Managers can't do any real work. In fact, in order to be a manager you must necessarily fail at doing real work. That's why people become managers. They can't do anything else.

I would go back and ask one of the original two employees to do the job again and specifically forbid the manager from meddling except for having one of the two good employees teach her how to do the job right.

Then, after you got the film back and it was done right, I would send a letter to Costco corporate headquarters via registered mail with return receipt requested which commends the two employees who did good work and which condemns the manager that gave you trouble. Use names, dates and receipt numbers whenever possible.

I had a problem, several years ago, when I was getting my wife's Christmas Teddy Bear. I get her a special Teddy Bear from FAO Schwarz every Christmas.
    One year, I called them up to order the Christmas Bear and got a lot of flack and run-around. After two days of fussing around, trying to get that Bear, I was told that they had sold out!

After I finished, I wrote a letter to the President of FAO Schwarz at corporate headquarters, addressed by name and sent via registered mail with return receipt. I named names, gave dates and times and quoted peoples' words. I explained that every since we were married, there has been a Teddy Bear from FAO Schwarz under our tree and that this would be the first year where there is no Teddy Bear.

About a week later, a box arrived on our doorstep vie Fed-Ex. Inside there was the Teddy Bear we were hoping to buy, plus a hand written letter of apology from the store manager.

Next year there will be ten Teddy Bears sitting under our tree at Christmas because I had the courage to complain to the right people. I think your situation is similar.

I know it sounds like I'm being really harsh but this is not necessarily the case. You started out by asking politely but all you got was flack and hassles.
    It should be an easy thing to scan a piece of film and, in fact, it was done correctly two times before. It is nothing but sheer ineptitude when film is not done right and the people who can't do the job should not be rewarded for their ineptitude.

Employers and businessmen are fond of saying things like, "With the economy being in the state it is, we can't afford to.... blah, blah, blah..."
    So, why do us customers have to be screwed by business when the economy is so bad? Don't you think it should be the other way around?
    "As a consumer, with the economy in the state it is, I can't afford to spend my hard-earned money at a store whose employees don't give me the service I need."

I'm the kind of guy who'll stop off at the convenience store on the way home from work to pick up bread and milk but, when they don't have the brand of cigarettes I want, will put all the stuff back and leave the store. I would have to go to another store to get the brand I wanted, anyway. Why should I reward a store with my hard-earned money when I have to go somewhere else to get what I want? I'll just go to that other store and buy everything I need and give THEM my money.

If more people would put their foot down, demand their money's worth and raise hell when they don't get what they want, it wouldn't be long before these companies wised up. As long as consumers act like sheep they'll be treated like sheep.

Demand what you want. Don't take flack for an answer. Complain when you don't get what you want and take your money elsewhere if you don't get satisfaction.

Okay... The next guy can have the soap box, now.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Okay... The next guy can have the soap box, now.
    Thanks, I'll take you up on that offer.

I can especially relate to the comments in your tenth paragraph. Here's funny (???) story, then I'll assume the soapbox top: I did that once in a small family-owned grocery store. In fact, I just handed the items to the owner who was standing near the check-out after he told me that he didn't have one of the key ingredients I was looking for but should have becuase it isn't an uncommon ingredient. He was livid. As politely as possible (I seem to have a much more gruff way of speaking than the OP) I told him that I'm an "all or nothing" kind of guy... and if I can't get it all from him I'll take nothing. He was LIVID. So I went to anotehr market a few miles away and got everything. As I was driving down my street I saw the guy, and it ends up he is one of my neighbors (three houses away), and I didn't know that, and he remembered me. Yeowww, how embarassing... but I wasn't sorry I did what I did.

[soapbox] One thing to remember in situations like this is that one should not mistake poor training or failure to know unusual situations with being a defensive moronic idiot. These things happen. Not everyone knows everything despite clear desires for that to be true. I wish for it too at times. Perhaps it shouldn't be an "unusual situation" since there appears to have been such a resurgence in half-frame. I had no idea. One technique, though, would to be to ask a knowledgable clerk to tell you what exact instructions to write on the order to help the other clerks deliver what is wanted. That probably won't help with dust spots, etc... but it could help for getting one frame per scan. [/soapbox]

I'm done; next....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    There are many, many, and many threads on APUG about developing your own film, with much, much, and much help available almost instantly.

On a totally separate note, I wonder if it is possible to start a new member designation category:

Subscriber
    Advertiser
    Whiner?
    Wow. Did I piss in you cornflakes or something?
    Sometimes I post my photos on flickr.
    Sometimes I update my tumblr.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm going to refrain from answering that, if you don't mind.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    One thing to remember in situations like this is that one should not mistake poor training or failure to know unusual situations with being a defensive moronic idiot. These things happen. Not everyone knows everything despite clear desires for that to be true.
    +1

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, thanks for all the comments (even the ones that were rude ) and respecting my need to vent a bit.

I was a photography major in college so I have plenty of experience processing film. Back then the end result was simply a print and all the equipment was there for me to use in a nice, clean, spacious environment. Now I want my photos online—to share with friends, family or anyone else like me who enjoys seeing what other people find interesting, beautiful and/or artistic. So while I'd really love to have the money right now to be able to buy a decent film scanner and the space to comfortably process on my own, the reality is that it's not an option for me at this point. In the future, once we've relocated to our larger home I hope to be able to reevaluate that as a priority but as it stands, I'm going to have to deal with Costco or give up and I refuse to give up. I'll try a different Costco if that's what it comes down to. I'm not opposed to getting in the car and driving a bit—I am from SoCal after all. It's a away of life.
    Sometimes I post my photos on flickr.
    Sometimes I update my tumblr.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    In fact, I just handed the items to the owner who was standing near the check-out after he told me that he didn't have one of the key ingredients I was looking for but should have becuase it isn't an uncommon ingredient. He was livid
    Unfortunately, it is sometimes necessary to pi$$ people off in order to get your point across.
    By the time I get to the point of being so impolite, I have probably asked the person for something two or three times with negative results. It isn't until that point when I go into "offence mode."

The way corporate culture works, these days, you have to shake people up to get them to do things right.
    Employees are often used to being treated and acting like drones and it takes some effort to rattle them out of their cages.

I have, on several occasions, said to the employee or within earshot of an employee, "I'm not going to reward this store with my money if they don't have what I want to buy."

The thing that really gets me worked up is when I go to a store to buy a specific item and can't find it then, when I ask the employee, they tell me that it's not in stock but they'll order it for me. My answer is always, "I came here, burned up $5.00 worth of gas and endured crazy shopping mall traffic so I could buy something today. If I wanted to order it, I would have stayed home and used the internet!"

Yes, I know these are line-level employees who don't usually have much say in the decision making process but they are the ones who are accessible to the customer. They are the ones who must face the customers' demands and they are the ones who must face the pressure when customers dont' get what they want. Unless and until we shake those customer service drones out of their comfortable little orbits, nothing will change.

By the time I get into "offence mode" I have asked several times for what I want and have not gotten it. It is at this point when I specifically target that person behind the counter and TRY to get him so upset that he goes home cussing me out at the end of the day. I do my best to make them upset and uncomfortable. By the time I get this far, it's the only alternative.

I don't expect people to be as brusque as I am but I really wish more consumers would stand up for themselves and demand the service they are paying their hard earned dollars for. If more people would do that, we wouldn't hear horror stories like this so often.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think I'll take my 1964 Jag E-type with wire wheels to Costco for new tires, and hope they don't screw up the wheels and put the knock-off nuts back on cross threaded, and ruin the splines on the hubs, then bitch about it if they do.
    I bet they can put the oil filter element back together too. ha!

I would have every right to bitch about it to my tweed cap wearing independant mechanic.

( I don't currently own an e-type.) I respect your right to be cranky BUT your cost-saving mind-set is the exact reason you might be looking for a lab in a couple years and not be able to find one. Same reason we can't expect a big company like Kodak to continue making Tri-x for a market that is 1/200th or even less than that.
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 01-03-2012 at 07:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Buy your own scanner, do it yourself. All labs suck at scanning, even the expensive places. Places like Costco are even worse. Idiots making $7 an hour who barely know where the machine's ON switch is.
    Scanning yourself and send the jpeg files to them would be better. I found that most places the prints do look like what I saw on my calibrated monitor. What I am wondering whether scanning yourself and send the lab the jpeg would be less or more expensive?

Shooter
    127 Format
    Go back when one of the more knowledgeable people are on duty.
    - Bill Lynch

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin