Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,799   Online: 776

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    I think I'll take my 1964 Jag E-type with wire wheels to Costco for new tires, and hope they don't screw up the wheels and put the knock-off nuts back on cross threaded, and ruin the splines on the hubs, then bitch about it if they do.
    I bet they can put the oil filter element back together too. ha!
    I call shenanigans. A 50k classic car that breaks every ten minutes—I had a wealthy family friend at one point that owned three so he could always be driving one—isn't really a fair analogy IMO. I don't get behind my camera and trust it won't blow up while I'm going 75 down the freeway on a thursday evening.

The lack of demand for the technology and the service is what has put film and labs on the endangered species list. So I completely disagree that Costco having a Noritsu mini-lab has anything to do with Kodak killing Tri-X and analog photography going the way of the dinosaurs. And believe me, if I could get the same service from my local lab for even 50% more, I'd MUCH rather use them. Actually I do use them... just not for scanning C-41. They do my E-6 stuff. They do a nice job and I pay about $4 more a roll then I would to send it out ($15 give or take). But they want $15 plus the cost of processing (I think around $4-5) to do what Costco charges $6 total for, on the same equipment no less. So to me, that's pretty ridiculous and not something I'm willing to chalk up to supporting the small guy.

But ok, if you feel like I'm whinging too much thanks for pointing it out in a sarcastic manner. Sarcasm is something I can comprehend and respect.

To put some closure to this, I decided that the best course of action was to go back and try and build a respectful dialog with the manager instead of going apeshit. It's honestly not my strong suit remaining calm in these sorts of situations but in the end, we were able to sort everything out and I'm happy to report that they're currently re-doing my scans the way I would like and I'll be able to use them for the same service in the future. So in the end, everything worked out fine.
    Last edited by eurekaiv; 01-03-2012 at 08:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Sometimes I post my photos on flickr.
    Sometimes I update my tumblr.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Just a quick story about the great service I had with Costco:

Last Christmas, just before the hordes of grandchildren descended on us, we bought a big flatscreen from Costco. Within a day of the little tykes arrival, the TV's remote went missing. Following the post-Christmas clean-up, it was still missing. I called Costco customer service to find out about getting a replacement. I was connected to what they called their Concierge Service, where a nice young lady called the manufacturer (with me on the line, too), and explained the situation. The manufacturer's rep said they could send a replacement out, and the Costco wpman dropped out of the conversation.

Nothing exciting, yet, huh? What surprised me was that a week later, the Concierge lady called me up and asked if the remote had arrived. It hadn't. With me on the line, she called the manufacturer again. Got another promise. A week after that follow-up, the Concierge lady called again. Still no remote. She called the manufacturer again. The remote arrived the next week, just before the Concierge lady called for the third time. I thanked her profusely.

YMMV

Charley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree with all above and agree that british cars are nightmares. WHAT I did want to point out and WAS LOST (others pointed out too) that Costco said up front they didn't want to piss around with his special stuff. Just as a Costco Manager should say to the owner of the e-type... we are likely to "Fu##" up your car as our tire machine isn't made (or any) made to put tires and tubes on those rims without lug-nuts... of and we don't stock that oil filter either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, but the fly in the ointment is that, even when they claimed that they could not do the work, they were able to do it correctly, not once but two times.

It was not until the third time when the inept manager tried to do the job when trouble occurred. She was told that it was possible and that it had been done twice before. What she should have done was to ask somebody else who knew how to do the job right.

A good manager is not necessarily the best line-employee. A good manager knows who the best employees are and knows how to utilize each employee to the best of his abilities to get jobs done and further the company's goals. If that manager at Costco was a good manager, she would have known which employees were capable of running the equipment correctly and would have either given the job to them or asked them how to do it.

Knowing that Costco is a discount store and that not every employee is as proficient at running all the equipment as they should be, it would be reasonable for the manager to say that "employee-X" isn't working at the moment and it might be reasonable to ask the customer to either wait or come back at another time.

When you're talking about a classic car, the owner should know whether the shop is capable of doing the repairs and it's not fair to expect Costco to be able to handle it but we're talking about film, here. I should be able to go up to my projection booth and get some film, take it to Costco and expect them to do a reasonable scan of it. Film is film.

What if some random customer dropped off a roll of film and DIDN'T advise the technician that the images were half-frame? It is reasonable to think that this could happen. Isn't it? In such a case, it is reasonable to expect that the technician to do a reasonably good job of handling it.

If the technician can't figure out how to do the job it is his responsibility to figure it out, to ask somebody who can or to talk to the customer to work out a solution agreeable to both parties.

The problem here is not whether Costco can or can't do the job. They can. Experience has proven that.

The problem here is that the employees refuse to do the job correctly or to find out how to do the job correctly and they try to blame their deficiencies on the customer instead of themselves.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    ( I don't currently own an e-type.)
    I was green with envy and hating you until I read this confession of yours. I've lusted after that car since I first had one in 1964 or 65... as a Matchbox toy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    The problem here is that the employees refuse to do the job correctly or to find out how to do the job correctly and they try to blame their deficiencies on the customer instead of themselves.
    When did that happen. Did I miss part of the story?

Don't you think people are entitled to make mistakes?

Sometimes us niche hobby enthusiasts need to help "them" do their jobs to our specifications. No matter waht we might want to believe, film users is "niche photography" now, and lomo/half-frame is even more of a niche. Why crucify the people who still support us versus finding out how to help them do what we need?

Had they messed up the processing I might be more agreeable to your attitude... but c'mon, asking for a re-scan isn't that unusual. Paying others for scanning is almost never a way to get a clean scan unless one is paying lots of money. The inconvenience of asking for a re-scan and coming back in a few hours is really fairly minimal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    this thread cracks me up ...

• costco processed, printed &c 1/2 frame film for the OP ( who knows they aren't set up for 1/2 frame )

• he returns a week later with more film, the manager takes his order this time and tells the OP they aren't set up to process + print 1/2 frame
    and the OP wouldn't take no for an answer ... knowing he is a regular customer, she takes his order anyway, and he accepts the risk of having the lab process, print and scan film that is outside their bill of service

• the OP's upset because the results were sub-par

now it is suggested that the OP write a scathing letter to costco, with names, and dates ( &c ) , complaining that the photo lab
    did a lousy job processing the work they did for him after he INSISTED they take his film ??

he really has no one to blame but himself if he is unhappy with the results the lab gave him. they aren't a boutique lab,
    they aren't a pro lab, they are a lab in costco that charges $2.07 for a roll of film to be printed and processed.

seeing the OP has saved lots of money over the years by having his work processed at less than half price at costco, maybe he can pay for a
    lab outside of costco to process his half frame photographs ... one that actually accepts 1/2 frame as part of their regular stream of work.
    or buy himself a scanner for 50$ and scan his own negatives.
    Last edited by jnanian; 01-04-2012 at 10:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The OP is lucky his local Costco still processes film. None in my area do any longer after demand cratered 2-3 years ago. I don't get the feigned outrage and frothing but do get that there's also an entitlement issue in play. It's Costco, not a pro lab. To argue otherwise is just being chicken$hit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    The OP is lucky his local Costco still processes film. None in my area do any longer after demand cratered 2-3 years ago. I don't get the feigned outrage and frothing but do get that there's also an entitlement issue in play. It's Costco, not a pro lab. To argue otherwise is just being chicken$hit.
    I'm lucky. On my end of Losa Angeles County I get processing at BOTH of my local Costcos... and good service... and good enough product too. Look at what else I saw on my drive home last night. This isn't the only Walgreens either. But Walgreen service and processing isn't quite at the level of Costco.

(Please forgive the fact that these are digital images taken with a cell phone. They are primarily to make a point... and maybe to gloat.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Los Angeles-20120103-00015.jpg   Los Angeles-20120103-00012.jpg   Los Angeles-20120103-00014.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    When did that happen. Did I miss part of the story?
    Specifically...

Quote Originally Posted by eurekaiv View Post
    At this point she relented and said she would do it provided I promised not to make her re-scan them if there were frames missing.
    and...

Quote Originally Posted by eurekaiv View Post
    And I'm consistently nice, friendly and polite and I get treated by this lady (the manager) like she's doing me a favor every time I go in there with a couple rolls of film.
    No, he was not being too demanding. He was nice and polite. He talked to the employees, they agreed to do what he asked and they did the job correctly on two separate occasions. Then, on the third time, the manager does everything short of refuse to do the job which she knows or should know can be done AND she puts the onus on the customer not to complain if it doesn't work... which doesn't work. It is fairly obvious that the manager doesn't know how to do the job, doesn't want to do the job and won't even lift a finger to find out.

It doesn't matter whether this incident occurred at a discount store or at Bergdorf Goodman. It is a clear case of the employee not doing their job.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin