Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,460   Online: 1128

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfox View Post
    When did you did the math how many 35mm reels per month did you assume to use? I won't use very much film at all. Maybe 2-4 reels a month. How long do the chemicals last by the way?

$3 for a scan CD is a price I'm willing to pay. I have a normal scanner at home, but I'm guessing a normal home-use scanner will not produce higher quality images when scanning negatives than what Costco uses. Also, I think there would be a lot of manual labor to scan negative strips individually, edit for color correction, and break apart the frames into separate files.
    I've heard it said the chemicals don't last as long as D-76; others have said they last longer. In any event, a 1L Tetenal kit has a capacity of about 15 rolls (they advertise 8, but I've read where people get 15 or more). Assuming the chemicals last for 3 months, that's 5 rolls a month. I don't shoot that much color, although that may change and it probably would if I had the ability do develop it myself. I shoot lots of B&W film, and obviously develop and scan it myself.

I have a Plustek scanner, and it works great. It's time consuming, but I enjoy it for the most part. If you don't have the equipment, pay the $3. The scans are good quality (you can actually see grain, unlike when I used a flatbed to scan), but not terribly high resolution. Certainly not the kind of resolution a good lens and a slower film like Ektar 100 are capable of.

Shooter
    35mm
    I do the opposite - I send my films to a lab and make prints at home, printing is where the fun is with colour.
    Steve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin