Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,075   Online: 1012

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Every Tetenal kit or other kit you get is $$ to them not to Kodak. But they work (kinda). The work alike formulas are out there, but Champion will keep plugging away. There is also Trebla, run by some ex Kodakers who mix up authentic formulas.

C41 and E6 are NOT patented at this time. The final rinse is, but there is a substitute.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My biggest concern is that the color negative film might become difficult to obtain. As far as I know, Kodak is the only manufacturer for that. Paper has at least two sources and can be used in the digital photography arena. So it should be around for a while. Unfortunately, I'm analog all the way.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It just doesn't make sense that commercial color neg film would disappear. Analog products are very
    alive and well in the form of RA4 papers, and these are still very deliberately designed to be compatibe with traditional enlargement from color negs. Not every lab on the planet can begin to afford the Lightjet or Lambda laser alternatives. The volume and profitability of paper itself would be
    adversely affected without a companion film selection. In the short term we're going to have some problems because Kodak was the leader in this film category and Fuji wisely decided not to keep going head to head. But everything could quicky change if Kodak takes a knockout punch.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markwny View Post
    My biggest concern is that the color negative film might become difficult to obtain. As far as I know, Kodak is the only manufacturer for that.
    To quote Mark Barent here: "Fuji?"
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I know Fuji makes color positive transparency film, but I'm not aware of any color negative film that they make.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It wasn't actually that long ago that Fuji directly competed with Kodak with a very wide selection of
    color neg films in every format, and alas, with a lot of unnecessary redundancy between pro and
    amateur packaging. The products were very high quality, though probably not quite up to Kodak's
    latest tweaks with Portra and Ektar. They still make a 160S product in the same market niche as
    160 Portra, which can be brought over. But their R&D is apparently healthy and they could probably
    fill an empty market niche quite easily if it appears worth their time. If this does happen, I certainly
    hope they take a clue from the improvements of Ektar and Portra and make something comparable.
    I can't operate on wishful thinking, however, and am currently padding my freezer with the real deal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markwny View Post
    My biggest concern is that the color negative film might become difficult to obtain. As far as I know, Kodak is the only manufacturer for that. Paper has at least two sources and can be used in the digital photography arena. So it should be around for a while. Unfortunately, I'm analog all the way.

How about Fuji?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the link Mark. Unfortunately, they don't list any 4x5 sheet film though. I normally buy from B&H, but they have listed he Fujicolor sheet film as no longer available. However, I see that East Coast Photo says they have it in stock. Anybody have any experience with them?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My bet is that Kodak's film making business will continue to exist, under Chinese ownership.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin