Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,988   Posts: 1,524,065   Online: 998

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Color Negative Processing Future???

If Kodak goes Chapter 11, what is the future for the color negative process? I know of other sources of chemistry, but what about the film?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The rumored Kodak filing would allow them to keep operating and, at least for a while, there is little chance that they would stop making anything. Assuming it makes a profit, the film and chemical businesses are worth something to somebody and I would expect that they would be sold to someone who did not bear the huge overhead that Kodak brings. While anything can happen in a bankruptcy, the role of the court is to maximize what the present debtors can get. If I were forced to bet, I would bet on this being good news since a new owner could not make worse marketing decisions than are being made now. But, I would not bet my life savings on that.
    Chuck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Fuji?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To get me to get my crystal ball out and make a prediction of the future you will first have to "cross my palm with silver" as they say in the trade.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    O yes! Maya was right the end of the world came in 2012... May be not, there is plenty of companies in Europe that manufacture film, Fuji, Ilford. With the possible end of Kodak as chemical manufacturer the word of film will not end
    Multum egerunt, qui ante nos fuerunt, sed non peregedunt.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There's no long term answer to this, any more than we really know yet what will happen to Kodak's
    film manufacturing. It volume falls off significantly, labs won't be able to sustain C41 or E6 processors. But the necessary chemicals have alternate sources, and if Kodak outright drops out
    of the color film game, it might just be the incentive for Fuji to get more aggessively back into the
    color neg film game, which they certainly have the technical abilitiy to provide. There still seems to
    be a healthy overall market for these kinds of films, and having one less competitor might even improve the profitiability outlook for the survivors. But I can't think of anyone other than Fuji or Kodak who has the necessary R&D to mfg professional quality color films. I'd hate to lose Portra or
    Ektar in particular, but all I can do for the moment is put a reserve of my favorite Kodak films in the
    freezer and wait to see what happens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak don't make the chemicals, Champion make them under license, Kodak just sells them.
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Kodak don't make the chemicals, Champion make them under license, Kodak just sells them.
    right you are, Apple also is not manufacturing ipods, but some obscure company in China, but guess who has the patents...
    Multum egerunt, qui ante nos fuerunt, sed non peregedunt.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vedmak View Post
    right you are, Apple also is not manufacturing ipods, but some obscure company in China, but guess who has the patents...
    Unlike copyrights, patents will expire before we expire ...
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    I can't speak for commercial colour processing in the U.S. but based on my own observations and anecdotal evidence most mini-labs in the U.K. use Fuji machines and Fuji chemicals and for amateurs there is Tetenal, Digibase and Fuji-Hunt kits.

pentaxuser

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin