Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,715   Online: 1027

Shooter
    35mm

kodak E-6 Bleach reuse, 5L home kit

I have 3 more Kodak 5L E-6 kits left. I want to continue home E6 after these run out, and as a previous poster noted, the bleach is very expensive now. Does anyone know if I can regenerate these bleaches, or are they somehow different/made to be disposable in the home E6 kit? I was thinking of ordering some extra First Developer and Color developer to increase the number of rolls I can put thru the 5L kit, without contrast problems. (Kodaks E6 documents say that all the other baths have 3x the capacity of the FD and CD. But the documentation also notes that the 5L chems should be discarded after use, so maybe they are somhow different than the full commercial grade mixes? Any input is appreciated.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Fuji kits I have say that the bleach is good, without regeneration, for at least 2x the capacity of the developers. And of course if you regenerate, it's good for even longer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Regeneration in its simplest form can be as easy as storing in half-full bottles and giving a good shake every now and then to aerate the bleach. There is a limit to it but I'd guess it can sustain 4x of the developer life like this.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Aquarium pump with a bubbler stone is all it takes to aerate bleaches. Worth the capital cost by far.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    John: can you quantify how much regeneration this does in comparison with using the official regeneration additive? And is there a simple test to determine if the bleach has had it? PE was saying in another thread that the regenerator replaces a few different chemicals that are consumed in the bleaching process in addition to doing some oxygenation.

I keep my bleach in half-full bottles and give it a real good shake before and after use. No idea how well that works (other than that the bleach is going strong after 2x the dev capacity, which I know is aiming very low) and I'm stashing my "exhausted" bleach for future regeneration.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe you can measure the effectiveness by fogging, developing and fixing a BW film to DMAX and then try with a tiny piece how long it takes to clear the silver away. Once that starts to get much longer than originally, the bleach is dead.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin