Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,638   Online: 717

Shooter
    Medium Format

Refridgerating Chemicals

Can the life of color chemicals such as RA-4 and P30 P (Ilfochrome) be extended by keeping them refrigerated (prior to mixing)? Are there any adverse effects in doing so?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fatso
    Can the life of color chemicals such as RA-4 and P30 P (Ilfochrome) be extended by keeping them refrigerated (prior to mixing)? Are there any adverse effects in doing so?
    Be *very* careful with liquid bleach-fix - the "prune juice" concentrate. A relatively short stay at decreased temperature will cause crystallization ... and it is damn near impossible to reverse it. There will be a whole lot of crunching going on.

I have not seen adverse effects on the color developer constituents -- but what I'm doing at the moment is replacing the air in the bottles (both color developer and bleach-fix) with butane from a Bernz-o-Matic mini torch .. and that seems to work well.

Shelf life is a problem with color chemistry. I would *really* like to use dry chemistry... so far, the only chemistry I've been able to obtain is Tetenal's Dry C-41 "Press Pak". Developed eight rolls of 120 (cheating on solution volume a bit - successfully) with one of those, and I'm happy with the results.

Tetenal DOES make dry RA-4 chemistry ... but I don't think it is available here ... I've e-mailed Tetenal a couple of times - with no reply.

Come to think of it ... I have a P-30 kit in my darkroom --- Isn't all that "dry"?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin