Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,730   Online: 1236

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Gold 100 vs. Fujifilm Superia 200

We had a nice stretch of high pressure and sunny days here in Pittsburgh earlier this week. During one such lunch hour, I shot a roll of Fuji Superia 200 and then a roll of Kodak Gold 100. Same camera -- a simple point-and-shoot with fixed aperture and shutter speed. The resultant shots show the Fuji to be nicely exposed, but the Kodak slightly overexposed. This is, of course, exactly the opposite of what I expected. Both rolls of film were developed at the same lab with no special instructions. Both films were purchased new, kept frozen, and had expiration dates in 2013.

I'm just curious if this is not an unexpected or unheard of result from one or the other of these films, or if I should look elsewhere for the problem. Maybe it's unrealistic to compare film speed between brands. Just looking for thoughts or ideas. Thanks.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    We had a nice stretch of high pressure and sunny days here in Pittsburgh earlier this week. During one such lunch hour, I shot a roll of Fuji Superia 200 and then a roll of Kodak Gold 100. Same camera -- a simple point-and-shoot with fixed aperture and shutter speed. The resultant shots show the Fuji to be nicely exposed, but the Kodak slightly overexposed. This is, of course, exactly the opposite of what I expected. Both rolls of film were developed at the same lab with no special instructions. Both films were purchased new, kept frozen, and had expiration dates in 2013.

I'm just curious if this is not an unexpected or unheard of result from one or the other of these films, or if I should look elsewhere for the problem. Maybe it's unrealistic to compare film speed between brands. Just looking for thoughts or ideas. Thanks.
    Never liked Gold 100. Fond of Superia 200(and 800)--the only consumer Fuji materials I like. Kodak consumer films have been scarce around Toronto--not that I miss 'em--after Kodak.ca folded in 2005. Never got consistent results with Gold 100 on Fuji paper anyway.

Shooter
    35mm
    OK, I have several 100' rolls of Fuji Super G + that 'expired' in 1998 and have been kept frozen. Its ISO is 100 and its speed, even NOW, is 200.

I really think that advertised color speeds are somewhat hype. I have NEVER in my life experienced a true '800' with ISO 800 color film. I think that there are two speeds with color: 100 -200 and 400-800. Period. - David Lyga

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    OK, I have several 100' rolls of Fuji Super G + that 'expired' in 1998 and have been kept frozen. Its ISO is 100 and its speed, even NOW, is 200.

I really think that advertised color speeds are somewhat hype. I have NEVER in my life experienced a true '800' with ISO 800 color film. I think that there are two speeds with color: 100 -200 and 400-800. Period. - David Lyga
    Why would you underexpose an ISO100 print film? Fuji Superia 800 is great at ISO500-640, not at ISO1600.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you comparing exposures based on the negatives or the lab prints? The former seems more reliable, albeit kind of hard to eyeball.

I've found I like Superia 200 better at 100-125, but even so I wouldn't expect Gold 100 to be apparently faster. I haven't made an apples-to-apples comparison, but your results surprise me, for what that's worth.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Superia 200 was once my main 35mm colour print film, I always had excellent results at box speed.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I had problems with Portra 400 , They scan darker than the normal , whatever Kodak is doing me , I love its colors. Lab scans with Gretag and Noritsu and colors and sharpness little bit lost but when I applied little bit USM and color , everything turns in heaven. I cant couldnt agree with Fuji anytime. When they marketed over saturated films and saw two pages of magenta filled pictures at Popular Photography, I said Photography is dead in USA. These pictures cut me from photography for a long time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you scan in some negatives so that we can look at them? The results may be more helpful than just a comment on speed.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ron ,

Let me try to find these pictures from scan cds. It would be or not to be in half hour.

Thank you ,

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would like the OP to post some scans as well.

I have looked at Umut's scans in a PM, but as per APUG rules will not comment on them here.

PE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin