Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,118   Online: 879

Kav

Shooter
    Multi Format

My first attempt at developing film

So I gave developing my own film a go with a press kit. All and all for my first time it turned out ok. My two main issues were:

First off, I got into a hurry, and when I did my first wash with water I forgot to drain the water back out before I put in my developer. I could not figure out how I poured out twice as much developer as I poured in. Then it hit me and I said to myself "Oh crap..." But I felt I might as well see what I come up with. (The 12 shot film mag had jammed on me while we were flying. So I had to pull the dark side out and unjam it. So this film was suspect anyways.)

Secondly, I thought my developing tank for the 4x5 sheet film was a 1L tank. Turns out it's aout a 1.5L tank so I did not mix up enough developer or blix to fully coat the film. So the middle at the top of the tank got developer (see above) but no blix. But I still got usable negatives out of it. So I feel I'm not off to a bad start.

I don't have access to hot running water so I found a little griddle and a stainless steel serving dish. I used the griddle to heat the water in the SS dish thing for a warm bath to keep everything at the right temp and went from there. I have about 10 rolls of 120 film to develop in the next few days. That should go much better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good, now that you have gotten the mistakes out of the way, things will only get better. I've been at this for the better part of 45+ years, and still screw up on occasion.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Kav

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I decided to develop the 4x5 film I had shot during a memorial flight here. But I did not want to use 2 press kits to develop 10 sheets of film. So I added some water to the developer and blix to have enough to fill my developing tank. But because I had diluted the chemicals I took a SWAG for my developing times. I added about one minuet and the came out very good. I had 10 exposed negatives when I was done. All with good sharp detail. My first time getting every shot fired off and in-focus with the Speed Graphic.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin