Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,735   Online: 798

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am sticking to Portra.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    FFS, isn't there enough threads about the doom and gloom of Kodak? The OP asked a simple question, is there an alteranative to Portra.

Why do we have to start yet another long and bulls..t discussion about kodak?

To the OP, there really is only one alternative at the moment - it's Fuji. I wouldn't call Reala an alternative, I'd be looking at the Pro 160 range and 400H for higher speeds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In 2010, Kodak made $64 million on over $1B in film sales. They also have other divisions (digital, etc). The problem is that overhead and debt are bleeding them dry as are legacy costs like pensions. If Chapter 11 bankruptcy can reduce these, and they trim down expenses and overhead, they can start making profits again and will survive. That's the purpose of Chapter 11. It's not a liquidation like Chapter 7.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It's very premature to assume that Portra won't be around. It looks like the most viable product line
    in still color film at the moment and is likely to survive this downsizing. But if you want to try Fuji
    160 somebody probably still has some around, or you could get a sample shipped in from Japan. It's
    high-quality stuff, just a step or two behind what EK is doing with Portra.

Shooter
    35mm
    There are not many alternatives to Portra.
    Portra 160 -> Fuji 160 S
    Portra 400 -> Fuji 400h

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin