Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,983   Posts: 1,523,900   Online: 1064

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like the saturation, but that image hurts my eyes.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Haha, finally! Peoples gotta have a sense of humor.

I am like, so. Happy! Somebody likes the compost heap.

It is, actually, besides the great tree behind St Paul's in London one of the best things I saw on my trip around the world.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks OK to me! I shot some Ektachrome VS recently which makes your photo look drab. I bought five boxes of it (35mm). I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with it.

jbl
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    I like Ektar and shoot a decent amount of it, but I've never understood how it's compared to chromes saturation-wise (I agree with Drew on this). My Ektar shots, when scanned always seem a bit flat to me. For a while, I just avoided color neg altogether, but I've gotten interested in processing my own, so it's gotten a second chance. I found that if I boost the black clipping point enormously, things start to look better, but even so, it's no Velvia or even E100G. I really want to like it for saturation and colors like what you've got, but I find myself always having to like it for having a somewhat muted palette :-).

For example, these are my recent Ektar shots:

http://jbl.smugmug.com/keyword/ektar

And chromes:

http://jbl.smugmug.com/keyword/ektachrome
    http://jbl.smugmug.com/keyword/slide

-jbl

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Probably the best balanced chrome film ever made was Astia, and the closest thing to that in color
    neg is Ektar. But both are now discontinued in sheets. A sad day indeed. I blame a lot of misinformation or just ignorance about both of these. The web disseminates misinformation faster
    than good info it seems. And nowadays everybody doesn't want to take the time to learn to do
    things right, so they just blast away and naively assume they can any conceivable mess afterwards
    in Photoshop. Not true. Those kinds of folks should stick to cell phone cameras. Ektar prints wonderfully in the darkroom if one understands how it works and is willing to learn a bit of elementary
    masking technique.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Probably the best balanced chrome film ever made was Astia, and the closest thing to that in color
    neg is Ektar.
    Do not mention the two in the same sentence. They are entirely different. I have seen blown highlights or loss of shadow detail in astia, as one might expect in a slide film dealing with a scene that has too much range to handle, but that's it. Astia has superb colour neutrality.

If you wish to compare astia to a neg film, the correct film to compare to is reala. Not ektar.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks Keith. But Reala was never offered in sheet format so there's no way for me to make a real
    world darkroom comparison relative to serious printmaking requirements. Ektar is suprisingly well balanced per objective testing. It just doesn't create idealized skintones, which is exactly why typical neg films fail to deliver accurate analogous hues in nature. Between Ektar and Astia there's still a significant gulf in terms of both contrast range and saturation. Both have now been discontinued in large format sheets and supplies are dwindling. Figures. Astia was a niche market all along. I used it mainly as a chrome duplicating film. But Kodak barely got Ektar going and pulled the plug already. Blame whatever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ektar discontinued in sheets?

I know it was discontinued in 8x10 and I know you shoot 8x10, but I haven't heard anything about it being discontinued in 4x5.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    From Kodak's own site it looks like they pulled the plug on sheets completely and aren't going to coat
    any more. How much this is due to end-of-business-as-usual rigormortis and panic I can't tell. But not atypical of the kind of flip-flop marketing which has plagued Kodak for a long time. Maybe they
    think that a relatively saturated and fine-grained film is necessary only for smaller formats. The
    8x10 sheets were selling slowly compared to Portra, no doubt because the skintone/portrait market
    is indeed bigger, but also because not a lot of people even had time to get familiar with Ektar. Sure
    there is a lot of idiocy on the web, but not much that would make this film comfortable for pro users.
    No way to tell if it can get started up again, since EK obviously has bigger worries at the moment.
    I'm pretty well stocked up on 8x10, but still have to stockpile 4x5, which is selling out fast. Porta
    will have to wait, since it has the best chance of surviving. I need it for internegs from chromes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow. Given my shooting of color is mostly smaller formats and the cost, even in 4x5, I don't know whether to buy a few boxes of Ektar or not. I recall PE saying that the old Ektar did not freeze well. Not sure if that applies to the new stuff, but I can't really afford to stock up in the sense of decades worth. I could get maybe 10 boxes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin