Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,416   Online: 803

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Thanks Keith. But Reala was never offered in sheet format so there's no way for me to make a real
    world darkroom comparison relative to serious printmaking requirements. Ektar is suprisingly well balanced per objective testing. It just doesn't create idealized skintones, which is exactly why typical neg films fail to deliver accurate analogous hues in nature. Between Ektar and Astia there's still a significant gulf in terms of both contrast range and saturation. Both have now been discontinued in large format sheets and supplies are dwindling. Figures. Astia was a niche market all along. I used it mainly as a chrome duplicating film. But Kodak barely got Ektar going and pulled the plug already. Blame whatever.
    Oh, I have shot reala in roll form up to 612, it's a great thing. That's what I'd base my comparison on, medium format compared to medium format. reala has that neutrality and credibility but yet it pushes the envelope just a bit. Yes, too bad it's not available in sheets. Many films I wish were available in sheets... xp2, reala, delta 3200, that maskless digi stuff from rollei... scala.... xp2, did I mention I would really like to have xp2 in sheets.... Simonnnn......

Anyway I do have lots of astia in sheet form up to 8x10, and it's still readily available from megaperls webshop / japan exposures.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I figure true high-speed films will never appear in sheet format because they just don't store well long term and need to be used more quickly. But if they could be, Delta 3200 would sure be on my
    own list too. If it's raining like hell tomorrow I'll tuck a Nikon with 3200 under my Goretex parka and
    start walking. I covet rainy days just for the opportunity. If it's a light rain I'll more likely take the
    full pack with an 8x10 and TMY400, plus Goretex darkcloth. I haven't shot Reala except for a bit of
    120 portrait work which I printed directly, without any fancy tweaks. That's about the only kind of
    thing I use medium format for, plus real windy conditions where the view camera becomes a kite.
    Thanks for the tip, however. It will tempt me to try that film again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    xp2, did I mention I would really like to have xp2 in sheets.... Simonnnn......
    +100!

XP2 used to be available in sheets but not XP2 Super.

XP2 is simply wonderful stuff. LOVE it in 35mm. I need to sort out the free C41 chems someone gave me recently so I can get back to shooting it. Back in the 90s when I could get 35mm run negatives only for about two bucks at a one hour lab in any small town, I gravitated toward more and more XP2 and less conventional film. Vastly under rated and under appreciated film these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    XP2 sheet would appeal greatly to hybrid photographers too, but I can say no more than that I like my bourbon with ICE.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I bet it does scan better.

But I also love (in smaller formats) the lack of grain and in all formats the smooth tonality and seeming complete inability to block highlights no matter how absurdly over exposed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Thanks Keith. But Reala was never offered in sheet format so there's no way for me to make a real
    world darkroom comparison relative to serious printmaking requirements. Ektar is suprisingly well balanced per objective testing. It just doesn't create idealized skintones, which is exactly why typical neg films fail to deliver accurate analogous hues in nature. Between Ektar and Astia there's still a significant gulf in terms of both contrast range and saturation. Both have now been discontinued in large format sheets and supplies are dwindling. Figures. Astia was a niche market all along. I used it mainly as a chrome duplicating film. But Kodak barely got Ektar going and pulled the plug already. Blame whatever.
    Drew:

Ektar in 4x5 and 8x10 is still showing on Kodak's website when I access it, and the 4x5 is even showing as available in the "Kodak Store": http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsu...oryID.40678000
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    C-41 films will look flatter than E-6, because they compress down a wider scene brightness ratio. You have to decide what part of the dynamic range to throw out when printing to make them look more like E-6. I've been scanning 6 months worth of Portra 400, and quite a few shots required creative destruction, increasing contrast and losing some of the details.

jbl
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've sort of ended up their myself through trial and error and actually gotten happier with the results and the flexibility of the palette. In some ways, I like chromes more, but I like being able to do my own processing and E-6 scares me .

-jbl

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What it has gained in saturation it has lost in contrast; I'm betting that is more a factor of your scan parameters than the film itself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jbl View Post
    I've sort of ended up their myself through trial and error and actually gotten happier with the results and the flexibility of the palette. In some ways, I like chromes more, but I like being able to do my own processing and E-6 scares me .

-jbl
    E6 is not one bit harder than C41. I've done both in conventional tanks with a big tub of water for a tempering bath - PITA but not really difficult and the results were fine. And I've done both in my Jobo, which is neither a PITA nor difficult. Six step E6 has more steps but if you can do three steps you can do six. Three bath E6 is, well, only three baths, and I never had any problems with that either.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin