Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,979   Online: 852

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Ektar being Ektar ;-)

http://tumblr.com/Zag7DyERo1CK

This is one of the more bizarre photos I've ever taken, but I thought I'd share this rendering of a frame of Ektar 120 shot in hazy/blazing midday light in London (as evidenced by the clock and the shadows).

Who knows how this would print in a darkroom... my work is hybrid, but anyway. Just thought you'd all appreciate the slickness and effortlessness with which this film handles PRIMARY colors and NEON, and is quite capable of a rather "digital" look. :-)

I honestly love how blindingly ugly this picture is.

(Mamiya 6, 75mm.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Love the colors, have to try this film in both formats!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It's still not as saturated as a typical chrome. I personally detest the way so many digital prints and
    web images have been ridiculously hyped per saturation. But at the same time, folks who have shot
    color neg films in the past have gotten accustomed to a relatively muddy palette where every warm
    neutral looks like a fleshtone, and crisp greens and yellows simply do not exist. But in your specific
    example, the hybrid workflow probably has something to do with it. With Ektar you do need to be
    careful with shadows going excessively blue, and when its best to use warming filters per color temp.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Heh. Love the colors. The HDR guys would die of envy ;-). On a serious note, it's really your scanner and not the film. Ektar is a PIA to scan because it has tremendous contrast/saturation so it easily saturates digital sensors and software, especially if you scan in 8bit. Printing optically, it's much more realistic, but you still have to deal with high contrast of the film.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    haha that picture sure is ugly. Do you play with the white, grey, black points before you make it a digital file? Helps get the most out of the frame I have found.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Just to be clear I wasn't complaining about ektar (or my scanner). It is trickier to scan insofar as it doesn't "neutralize" to a realistic palette as readily as portra, for example. Shadows in real life are indeed blue on a clear day, but I don't see them AS BLUE As readily as does ektar!

I'm not sure how the scanning technique would affect saturation, mine is profiled and gives me 12 bits and from there I edit in prophoto color space at 16 bits. I think it has more to do with how steep I make the curves in PS! ;-) I'll stop before someone tells me to take it to dpug…

Also, obviously, I've compressed the highlights a bit to make certain details render for digital viewing. Printing, I would let them go a bit more. This photo reads a bit muddy to me but it's just not worth spending more time on.

I will in fact be experimenting with chromes more soon, so we'll see how that goes. I was in fact indoctrinated into the world of low contrast "muddy" palletes by my my prof, Joel Sternfeld. I still love portra, forever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    On a serious note, it's really your scanner and not the film. Ektar is a PIA to scan because it has tremendous contrast/saturation so it easily saturates digital sensors and software, especially if you scan in 8bit. Printing optically, it's much more realistic, but you still have to deal with high contrast of the film.
    +1
    When I scan, which is very rare, I use 16 bits/color to avoid this. I much prefer optically printing.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Anyway, here are a few more reasonable examples of scanned Ektar:

http://tumblr.com/Zag7DyF01raf
    http://tumblr.com/Zag7Dy7yIRfT

Some day I'll go into the darkroom and tell you what it looks like on Fuji paper. :-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorph View Post
    Anyway, here are a few more reasonable examples of scanned Ektar:

http://tumblr.com/Zag7DyF01raf
    http://tumblr.com/Zag7Dy7yIRfT

Some day I'll go into the darkroom and tell you what it looks like on Fuji paper. :-)
    Yeah....thanks for the shot of the compost heap.

Nice composition

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    It's still not as saturated as a typical chrome.
    Well, I don't know what you consider typical, but I've never seen anything quite that oversaturated from astia.

Someone should shoot a rainbow with this stuff!!!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin