Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,713   Online: 776

Shooter
    35mm

Porta NC equivalent

I love Porta NC to bad its gone. Any suggestions as to something that looks VERY similar?

Shooter
    35mm
    And Im asking because I hear kodak is going out of business so that means Porta will be gone soon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, until Portra 160 and 400 are actually not made anymore, I'd shoot them. If and when they get the axe, your best alternatives are probably Fuji 400H or 160whatever-it-is-if-Fuji-still-makes-it.

Kodak filed for bankruptcy protection. While that can certainly end in them going out of business and Kodak film being no more, it does not have to end that way. The whole point of it is for Kodak to get there stuff in order so they can stay in business. So I think we'll have Portra at least for another year or so. It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if the film division was spun off as a separate company either.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    Well, until Portra 160 and 400 are actually not made anymore, I'd shoot them. If and when they get the axe, your best alternatives are probably Fuji 400H or 160whatever-it-is-if-Fuji-still-makes-it.

Kodak filed for bankruptcy protection. While that can certainly end in them going out of business and Kodak film being no more, it does not have to end that way. The whole point of it is for Kodak to get there stuff in order so they can stay in business. So I think we'll have Portra at least for another year or so. It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if the film division was spun off as a separate company either.
    Agreed - you have about two years of using Portra left minimum - more than likely you can get three years even if they go under at the end of their 12 months bankruptcy.. More than likely they will continue for at least three or four years as film is still one of the few profitable sectors at Kodak so you'll more than likely have a decade if you also stockpile when it looks bad in maybe six years time and then you could extend this by buying up the occasional stock that appears..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't know about the timelines for production, but if you are very content with portra then I would suggest purchasing substantial quantities and consider bulk rolls too.

At the same time, consider trying the Fuji 160 films.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin