Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,938   Online: 931

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

1993 Ektachrome 160T worth shooting?

Back in November of 2010, I got five rolls of frozen 1993 K25 from craigslist. Along with the deal, I also got three rolls of Ektachrome 160T tungsten film. The K25 turned out Really good. So I assume that all the film was properly stored over the years. I've been wondering recently if I should even bother with the 160T, or just throw it away. Does anyone here know whether it is generally a stable film? Or does it tend to experience color shifts even with proper storage?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I shot some that was about that same vintage and it came out, but I cross processed it in c41, so the shifts, if any had been amplified since I didnt have it processed in E6. Give it a try, the changes, if any, can be fun
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whatever you do don't just throw it away. Whenever I hear that it gives me reflux.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    So true tbea - OP don't toss it! Tungsten film when shot outside and then crossed has a beauty all it's own, below is a 64t that was crossed and rehaled..

Last edited by zsas; 01-22-2012 at 08:42 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Thype-oh
    Andy

Shooter
    Instant Films
    Quote Originally Posted by tbeaman View Post
    Whatever you do don't just throw it away. Whenever I hear that it gives me reflux.
    yeah if you don't want it I'll take it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ha. I just stumbled across a roll of 400 Ektachrome expired in '89 in the back of my freezer and was wondering how likely it is to be good...
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I am currently going through a stack of old Ektachrome 100HC film from 1988/1990. It's not too bad after ~24 years, slight pink tinge, even after colour correction (yes, hybrid; I recently printed some of the pictures, the only practical way to print slides is to digitise them, sad, I know).

Here's one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0017.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	45025

And another, which actually looks better after colour correction:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0010.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	399.6 KB 
ID:	45026

The leaves of the tree fell off 3 days after I shot this. (18/12/11)

Not too bad overall. I am not a big fan of cross processing. Not my cup of tea, I suppose.

-R
    Last edited by ricardo12458; 01-24-2012 at 10:04 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: really good picture

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not the only practical way, digitizing. There's still some Ilfochrome (the last batch) and it's possible and practical (but a lot more trouble) to make internegatives. But scanning is certainly the easiest way these days.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've used films up to 20 years old with negligible loss of quality. Recently shot an Orwo color neg film, the last batch of C-41 dated 1992 before the factory closed, and the prints are indistinguisable from in-date Kodak taken at the same time.
    The film was refridgerated most of the time, but had then been in bottom of one of my camera bags for at least a couple of years.

(But, obviously, don't use anything other than fresh film for your daughter's wedding....the possible consequences don't bear thinking about! )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Old film is fun...shoot it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin