Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,561   Online: 1040

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Flexicolor SM developer capacity? Extended times/replenishment?

So I walked into the local camera store the other day and, to my amazement, they had eight of the Flexicolor SM 2L developer packages sitting on the shelf. The rarity of seeing color chemistry these days is one thing, but more than that, they were clearly pricing it to sell, so I promptly bought all of them.

Now I have 16 liters worth of developer and I'm wondering how I should go about it. I've been using the powder press kits up until now, and you can stretch those quite a bit through reuse and extending times. Meanwhile, with what little documentation there is to go with the SM stuff, they recommend using it one shot and not replenishing. What a tremendous waste. So they expect us to pay the MSRP of ~$12 just to develop 5 rolls of film? And that's not including the price of bleach, fix, and stabilizer. I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing in documentation that clearly demonstrates the insanity of it's writers.

So what should I do? Extend times with each session like I do with the powder kits, or is it possible to replenish? I generally use 1 liter at a time in a rotary process, so I could mix the 2 liters at a time and replenish the first liter with the second. Unfortunately, I can't go by standard replenishment rates because the SM mixes up as an already diluted tank solution as opposed to a richer replenisher solution.

Any advice you can give will be rewarded with much gratitude.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys! That's very helpful!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No problem!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't use the SM chemistry, but with the Flexicolor Developer / Replenisher (http://www.adorama.com/KKFCDR5G.html) I just use the stuff at the minimum amount needed for the Jobo. So that comes out to about 135ml per roll (270ml in a two roll tank). I do not replenish, or reuse, the developer when used in this way. I reuse the bleach one time. And fix is also one shot.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have used this chemistry before and I extended the times to reuse the developer a second tme, but the film base came out much more brown than the first run, so I stopped. However, I use mine in a Jobo, so my quantities of liquid are much less than an inversion tank.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here is the way I use it.....

For a 1 Liter mix:
    924 mL water
    60mL Part A
    8mL Part B
    8mL Part C

Develop 2:30 At 98dF Then dump it as one-shot. It is not worth saving or taking chances. This chemistry has excellent shelf life. The active component is Part C and could be kept in the frige is desired. I use the 5 gallon minilab kits and decanter the Part C into 100mL glass bottles and keep them in the frige 'till needed.
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

Shooter
    35mm
    I hate to revive another old thread, but does anyone replenish SM chemistry? Is it hard to maintain a working solution?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keyofnight View Post
    I hate to revive another old thread, but does anyone replenish SM chemistry? Is it hard to maintain a working solution?
    The replenishment info is in Kodak's tech pubs, it is the norm, not the exception, it is not hard.

http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/...ls/z101_02.pdf
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    The replenishment info is in Kodak's tech pubs, it is the norm, not the exception, it is not hard.

http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/...ls/z101_02.pdf
    Thanks. It seems easy enough, but the whole business about "control plots" made me nervous.
    Last edited by keyofnight; 03-10-2013 at 01:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    C-41 is an industrial process, the control plots are very useful for labs trying to make the system really efficient and very consistent over a long period.

As individuals we don't generally do enough volume to keep the developer going for months on end. Just following the replenishing directions will keep us darn close for say two to three weekends then we can toss it and start fresh a month or two later when we get the chance again.

Replenishing takes the guesswork out of the times it's 3:15 and you are done, once you get through it a few times you'll see that it is "as consistent as you are" and then some. I don't remember ever having a developing failure that ruined a negative even when I goofed something up, say doubling or forgetting to replenish between runs.

While we as individuals may get slight variations that a pro-lab wouldn't, we also work differently than a pro-lab, we have different expectations for any given shot than they might for our whole order and its not tough for us to adjust our printing processes.

Replenishing on the bleach, fix, and stabalizer is the perfect choice for everybody because the chems don't go bad by themselves, in fact getting fresh air/oxygen into the bleach is important. These chemicals can be kept replenished indefinitely. The only time I throw these out is when I inadvertently contaminate them.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin