Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,712   Posts: 1,514,653   Online: 987

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 812131415161718192021222324 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    What if the emulsion is from Leverkusen but has been coated in Mortsel?
    That was the way they did it in the past.
    All colour emulsions, including those made for cine and aerial use, were made in their consumer-products plant in Leverkusen. The latter then being driven by truck (2.5h) to the Mortsel plant for coating.

After the sale and insolvency of their consumer branch Agfa ordered at the Leverkusen plant a years-stock of colour emulsions for deep-freeze.

Meanwhile they stated to have re-gained colour emulsion preparation facility at the Mortsel plant. That of course does not necessarily mean that production of all emulsions had been regained. Room for speculation thus...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    On a factory visit to Harman in, IIRC, 2009, it was stated that none of their current films were coated on polyester.
    If that's true then they need to update their datasheets:
    Quote Originally Posted by HP5 datasheet
    HP5 Plus sheet film is coated on 0.180mm/7-mil polyester base with an anti-halation backing which clears during development.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Grenet View Post
    If that's true then they need to update their datasheets:
    Sorry, I should have specified roll and 35mm.....I was thinking back to the discussion during the visit, when, IIRC, one of their Directors was mentioning issues of alleged camera damage with motor drives and high-strength PE film.
    Last edited by railwayman3; 08-07-2013 at 03:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well After contacting Wittiner-Cinetec, they have confirmed with me that Agfa has told them that they expect to supply this stock for the next 2-3 years, maybe longer.
    That's a pretty good timeframe outlook in a dwindling film market.
    So who knows if this means the emulsion stock is old or not.

Shooter
    35mm
    If Agfa did indeed say "maybe longer" then I would lean on the side of saying that this indicates the rate at which the film is bought determines how long the old stock lasts. I do hope I am wrong on this

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It might be that I missed this detail while reading the thread, but is there a reliable source for obtaining this film in 120 without the yellow cast?

I contacted Maco twice after getting back only yellow slides, but did not get any answer, which is why I'd like to prevent them in the future.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only source for Agfa colour films in type 120 is Maco so far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by spatz View Post
    If Agfa did indeed say "maybe longer" then I would lean on the side of saying that this indicates the rate at which the film is bought determines how long the old stock lasts. I do hope I am wrong on this
    Well, you are absolutely right on this.
    How long this film type will be still available is only dependent on the rate of sales = speed of depleting the stock.
    Agfa Aviphot Chrome 200 is not used a lot as aerial film anymore, low demand from this side of the market.
    The main demand is from 'normal' photographers now, who buy this film labeled as
    - Rollei CR 200
    - Rollei Crossbird
    - Lomography X-Pro Slide 200
    - Wittner Chrome 200D.

It is quite easy to get information about the question whether a film is still in production or not. Ask the manufacturer about his capability to deliver big amounts of film for the next 5-10 years. If they say no, you know they are only selling their last stock (by the way, companies interested in a long term supply of this film have asked Agfa and get exactly that answer: no long term supply of bigger volumes possible).

Wittner (and all the other small format film companies) would prefer to offer the much better Fuji colour reversal films to their customers. For a long time they are now asking Fuji to deliver pancakes, ready to invest more than a million dollar for that.
    But so far Fuji is unfortunately ignoring that.
    Fuji could sell much more reversal film if they would listen.

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by j.c.denton View Post
    It might be that I missed this detail while reading the thread, but is there a reliable source for obtaining this film in 120 without the yellow cast?
    I don't know whether the Lomography X-Pro Slide 200 also has the yellow cast (so far all my Rollei CR 200 had it, both 135 and 120, and of course the whole film: It is definitely not a lightpiping problem),
    but this film is available in 120 format, too.

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by j.c.denton View Post

I contacted Maco twice after getting back only yellow slides, but did not get any answer, which is why I'd like to prevent them in the future.
    No Answer from Maco/Rollei about "yellow" film? What does that tell you? Lomography appears to have their film cut and packaged at the same plant as Maco/Rollei for the Agfa Aviphot Chrome 200.

Georg Thaler from Lomography commented that they are testing their latest X-Pro 200 and related 200 speed Agfa slide film but has so far not really commented about the film being right or yellow, I wonder if Freestylephoto.biz has checked out their latest batch of CR-200 and Rollei Crossbird like they said they would.

I would bet Maco/Rollei knows exactly why some of their CR-200 is yellow but won't comment.

FreestylePhoto.Biz and Lomography when approached or contacted about this problematic film are more likely to give useful answers, they have shown genuine concern over this "Yellow" CR-200 issue, if either one just offers a money back guarantee when questioned should raise red flags, if they confirm good tested results? looks like a safe bet to buy.

Should you wind up with "yellow" film after being assured by Lomography and Freestylephoto.biz that they had tested their latest batches as being good? I am sure the posts will come flying in on this thread and they will be torn apart by "Forum Rats"! LOL! But if the film is good, I expect an equally positive comments showing up on this thread.
    Last edited by Alpenhause; 08-08-2013 at 02:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin