Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,874   Online: 949

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for your info Alpenhause, its very interesting to learn this about the "yellowing" effect that people have experienced, so all these theories about it being yellow as its designed for aerial use should go out the door?

Are you suggesting that all of this film that is packaged as Rollei Digibase is bad stock? I understand AviPhot 200 Chrome film is the same stuff, but obviously the supplies that Wittner-Cinetec supply must be fresher however their site is in German, and hard to navigate, I cant find any 36 exp rolls of the stuff available there, do i have to buy 100feet rolls?
    If so, i dont have any means to repackage it into 35mm film canisters.
    Im seriously keen to try this as a replacement for E100g.
    I see some sellers on Ebay selling Digibase CR200 as fresh stock which wont expire until 2015, so this may be ok to shoot to you think?

How grainy do you feel this film is?
    From reading other threads, its possible to reduce the grain by changing the first developer time.
    Is it much more grainer than E100g?
    They are now selling super8 cartridges of this too, and i intend to shoot some of this at some stage, for it to be used in super8, i can only imagine that the grain cant be any worse than Ektachrome 64, i know E100D has a finer grain than the earlier 64.

Any sample photos you shot on this, im keen to see.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wittner is a small-gauge cine supplier. Even that they got 30m rolls 35mmDP of that film is extraordinary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzoomed View Post
    Thanks for your info Alpenhause, its very interesting to learn this about the "yellowing" effect that people have experienced, so all these theories about it being yellow as its designed for aerial use should go out the door?

Are you suggesting that all of this film that is packaged as Rollei Digibase is bad stock? I understand AviPhot 200 Chrome film is the same stuff, but obviously the supplies that Wittner-Cinetec supply must be fresher however their site is in German, and hard to navigate, I cant find any 36 exp rolls of the stuff available there, do i have to buy 100feet rolls?
    If so, i dont have any means to repackage it into 35mm film canisters.
    Im seriously keen to try this as a replacement for E100g.
    I see some sellers on Ebay selling Digibase CR200 as fresh stock which wont expire until 2015, so this may be ok to shoot to you think?

How grainy do you feel this film is?
    From reading other threads, its possible to reduce the grain by changing the first developer time.
    Is it much more grainer than E100g?
    They are now selling super8 cartridges of this too, and i intend to shoot some of this at some stage, for it to be used in super8, i can only imagine that the grain cant be any worse than Ektachrome 64, i know E100D has a finer grain than the earlier 64.

Any sample photos you shot on this, im keen to see.
    Not all the CR-200 from Rollei/Maco was yellow but it would seem like an inordinate amount of it was.

The theory of the film being made yellow for aerial use is thrown out the door, Agfa Belgium's Pdf info sheet says it is balanced for 5500K.

Personally I would stay away from any sale of the Rollei/Maco CR-200 no matter who has it for sale, my two "Yellow" rolls had a 2015 expiry date on them

If you really look around the Wittner-Cinetec website you can get info in English.

Picking up a bulk film loader and empty cartridges from Freestyle Photo in Hollywood or ebay will get your film packaging project "Rolling" then perhaps sell remaining rolls of film on ebay, tell them where it came from and that it is not yellow and I bet it will sell readily.

As for grain, I have not looked at it, the other folks that have posted on this thread have some great scans to show, I have a cheap rotten film scanner that is annoying to use otherwise I would post some images.

When one picks up E-6 slide film one should not have to go and alter the process to alter color or grain, the film should process normally with E-6 processing at a good lab, my results from a local lab look great, it is like buying brand new RSXII 200 speed Agfachrome, I certainly find those that were able to tweak the questionable CR-200 by altering the E-6 process to be heros in solving this bad color balance problem
    The enthusiasm filmakers show for Wittner-Cinetec's super-8 200 ASA Agfachrome is quite good, I think it will be well received and enjoyed.

Hopefuly Rollei/Maco will provide CR-200 that does not have the "Yellow" problem soon and possibly dispose of the bad stock on hand, it is unknown if they have seen this thread here on APUG and LargeFormatPhotography Forum, I can just imagine the dealers that purchase this particular film for resale are probably concerned as well, you might email Macodirect.de and tell them about this forum threads, perhaps that may shake them up such that they will take care of the problem, all the other repackaged Agfa films are most enjoyed and appreciated that come from Rollei/Maco.

I am sure Rollei/Maco is aware of this "Yellow" CR-200 problem by now, we just need to see if they will take care of it, doubtful they would admit to anything being wrong other than to offer a refund which is nice but by then your vacation shots are bad yellow and you are out $10 to $12 for processing so getting a refund of $5 to $7 for the price of the roll is not all that great.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thats quite reassuring news, i just hope they do ditch that old stock, i can see how you would get alot of stock from a master roll, but obviously the stuff Wittner-Cinetec has must be a new batch from a new master roll.
    I have contacted them and a 100 foot roll is about 46 euro. Im keen to try some of this, but i have never had any experience in bulk film loading, i take it i have to do it in a darkroom or a lightproof bag?

If you were able to package a roll or two of it for me, i would buy some from you.
    Or else ill take the plunge and buy a bulk loader and do it myself.
    I cant wait to try this.
    Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    This is starting to sound very interesting. I wonder if someone could encourage someone at Wittner-Cinetec to join Apug and fill us in on this film. It sounds like really good film and a good alternative to Fuji, price wise. I'm looking forward to trying it.

I've been looking for some bulk rolls of E-6 and finding it is not easy. Every time Ultrafine gets some, it sells out so fast, I don't have time to get any.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ill send them an email and direct them to this thread, hopefully they can shed some light on this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i also looked for a while for bulk load slide film and this is all that i could find. i decided i would give it a try and was very happy with the results, which i posted in a thread in this group.

i would not look at it as a replacement for any current fuji slide film as i would not consider it a pro film. i would compare it to more of an amature/consumern grade film, say ektar 100 to kodak gold. it is not as sharp and has much larger grain. but it still is fun to have an inexpensive option for slide film. i usually roll 6 rolls of it at a time and then develop it with my other e-6 films when i get up to 12 rolls.

for the price give it a try. yeh you have to get the loader and cartridges but then black and white film gets much cheaper!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by destroya View Post
    i would not look at it as a replacement for any current fuji slide film as i would not consider it a pro film.
    Well, it was introduced by Agfa in their professional range.

But we must not forget that the first version of this film dates back as late as 1996.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Well, it was introduced by Agfa in their professional range.

But we must not forget that the first version of this film dates back as late as 1996.
    Yes it is a professional film and is being sold for aerial photography, as well as for motion picture use.
    Its looking promising for super8 use, so it cant be too grainy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzoomed View Post
    Thats quite reassuring news, i just hope they do ditch that old stock, i can see how you would get alot of stock from a master roll, but obviously the stuff Wittner-Cinetec has must be a new batch from a new master roll.
    I have contacted them and a 100 foot roll is about 46 euro. Im keen to try some of this, but i have never had any experience in bulk film loading, i take it i have to do it in a darkroom or a lightproof bag?

If you were able to package a roll or two of it for me, i would buy some from you.
    Or else ill take the plunge and buy a bulk loader and do it myself.
    I cant wait to try this.
    Thanks
    Bulk film loaders and cartridges are relatively easy to use.

1. "Changing Bag" or completely dark room needed to get the bulk roll out its can and into the loader.

2. Good quality masking tape and scissors.

The loaders themselves are used in normal roomlight, one can sit on the couch and "Roll Your Own"

The Agfa Aviphot Chrome 200 slide film is coated on a polyester base which does "Light Piping" or acts like fiber optics to transmit light through the film base, yes, it will go right by the felt light trap on the cartridge itself hence loading the finished roll in and out of your camera should be done in the dimmest light possible, count on several first frames possibly being fogged, a longer leader is needed and works best.

When using the bulk loader with this kind of film it is best to do the "Roll Your Own" activity in the dimmest light possible also add 3 or 4 more frames both leading and trailing to prevent this fiber optic type of fogging, when your frame counter says 24 or 36 stop there and rewind don't go ahead and use the 37th and 38th frame as it could be fogged.

For the bulk loader use hopefully a brand new one will come with instructions failing that a search on the web can uncover instructions on how to "Roll Your Own".

The 100 foot roll from Wittner-Cinetec will give you 18 to 20 rolls of 36x, I am keeping a large portion of the finished project film rolls in the freezer for use in later years, I kind of Doubt Agfa will improve this film any time soon so waiting for an improved version may be not such a good idea hence having a "Stash" will be nice to have.

This slide film is the one and only available in bulk so get it while you can, might not be as nice as Kodak and Fuji slide film but I like it, looks great projected on a screen, isn't that what we want slide film for?

This film fills a niche, slide film is 50, 100, or 400 ASA from Fuji, it is nice to have a 200 ASA film alternative, if you liked Agfa slide film from the recent past production from Leverkusen then this stuff will certainly please, it is fresh.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin