Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,038   Online: 1000

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenhause View Post
    Friends of mine have purchased Lomography X-Pro Slide 200 in the 120 size and say it looks fine, Does Lomography purchase Aviphot Chrome 200 direct from Agfa and cut it down or is Maco/Rollei doing the packaging for them?
    I bought a five-pack of CR200 in 120 format from Macodirect this spring.

I haven't processed any yet, so I can't say anything about a yellow cast, and anyway I plan to home-process them (in Tetenal E-6).
    Last edited by Arctic amateur; 06-18-2013 at 05:53 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Better picture link

Shooter
    35mm
    bumping for Alpenhause...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am Bumping along......

I just received an email from the Folks at Lomography.

I had inquired about LomoGraphy X-Pro Slide 200 film if they had experienced this "Yellow" problem with the film they sell and have not heard of the "Yellow" problem but are very concerned about it, they told me it is against company policy to state where the film comes from but that is OK.

What is very reassuring is that have told me they are going to check their film stocks by processing in E-6 to be sure they have good proper film stocks, they have stated that defective film stocks are of great concern and that they will only sell film that works correctly.

I find this activity on the part of the fine people at Lomography to be most excellent, this shows a very honest, Stand-Up, Straight-Shooter type of company that cares about its clients and fans.

I will post the email I received from the fine gentleman at Lomography who is in charge of film, I have asked his permission to post the email, and will likely post it later, I figure it would only be polite to ask first.

Lomography currently has no more or very little X-Pro Slide 200 in stock and is awaiting for more film to arrive, it is kind of interesting that a lot of vendors who sell CR-200 and X-Pro Slide 200 are awaiting the arrival of new film stocks.

Perhaps AGFA, Maco/Rollei are taking care of this "Yellow" problem that has affected some batches of their slide film?

I am certainly glad The fine folks at Lomography show profound interest in the "Yellow" Problem to make sure they don't sell any messed up film.

Have any of you folks inquired with Maco/Rollei about some of their "CR-200" being "Yellow"?

Agx has mentioned the possibility that Agfa Belgium purchased some of the Master Rolls from Agfa Leverkusen when they were in insolvency? I remember something really profound about my two 35mm CR-200 rolls that were yellow, the film edge markings said "CR-200 Germany", the package said film was from Belgium, could it be that the bad batch was indeed German made, shipped to Belgium then shipped to Maco/Rollei in Germany? I think I am going to see what type of base this film is coated on that I have, Tri-acetate? would be German, PE1 Polyethylene would be from Belgium.

Perhaps we are on to the mystery of who, why and where the bad "Yellow" slide film has its origins......
    Last edited by Alpenhause; 06-19-2013 at 09:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Have any of you folks inquired with Maco/Rollei about some of their "CR-200" being "Yellow"?

I havnt asked Marco/Rollei about it, but i Told Wittner-Cinetec that i would be interested to hear any correspondence they may recieve from AGFA, im still unsure if AGFA are very aware of the issue.
    Anyway the good news is that it looks like they are going to ship in 135 format canisters some time in the near future.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you know what is interesting is that Agfa does indeed list Aviphot Chrome 200 as being available in 35mm on the Pdf I posted earlier, Agfa USA rep once told me the traffic survelance film is available in cartridges if you order enough of it, hence it is possible Agfa Belgium still has 35mm and 120 film packaging capabilities.

Hey! Freestylephoto.Biz in Hollywood says new stock of CR-200 arriving on June 28 Anyone want to buy a roll and see what happens? What are the odds of us getting hammered again with "yellow" Piss-A-Chrome? We could not be that unlucky could we? Or... Maco/Rollei and FreestylePhoto.biz being that stupid again could we?

I think I will buy a roll of 120 and 35mm and find out.

Shooter
    35mm
    This is very interesting to learn!
    We will need to see more suppliers demand high quality film stocks if we will ever see this problem corrected.
    Very reassuring to see lomography are concerned about this, since most of their film sold is cross processed in C41, its not really surprising that people haven't complained about it.
    We may finally see light at the end of the tunnel once and for all with this "yellowing" effect.
    The good news is that Wittner are keen to package this film into the 135 format canisters. I will forward to them any feedback from this forum (see post #70).
    Since ive heard about this for over 2 years now, after i first heard of the film when photographers were looking for Kodachrome alternatives.
    Its supposed to give very close colours to Kodachrome, especially the reds, so thats the main reason i want to shoot this, but even more importantly now that my Ektachrome E100g stocks are running low, i want to use another film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [Mod. note: edited by original poster request]

Kodachrome replacement? I am thinking you are referring to Kodachrome 200? I had used a roll or two and thought it was good, it is my brother who has over 25,000 Kodachrome slides who had a bit to say about Kodachrome 200, he said it had a bit of a pinkish cast to it, I thought it looked fine, my brother's favorite was the ultra slow 25 ASA Kodachrome, one thing for certain my brother would not even consider the thought of using Agfachrome or Ektachrome, he uses Velvia now.

I remember in 1976 when Kodak first introduced the E-6 Ektachrome 64 Professional film, This was the first E-6 Ektachrome, it looked and still looks absolutely fabulous today, has not faded or changed one bit!

I recently stockpiled 30 rolls of Ektachrome 100VS, this is the last Ektachrome and the best, no other E-6 film will ever match it.

You really should not compare the 200 speed Agfa slide with 200 speed Kodachrome per se, the Agfachrome has much better shadow detail and exposure latitude than Kodachrome, Why? You look at my brother's last Kodachrome 64 slides shot in the same place compared to my Agfachrome slides and the Kodachrome is way higher contrast with less shadow detail, we are both very active Railroad and train photographers and often shoot side by side so that is why I can comment rather accurately about how Kodachrome and Agfachrome look in a side by side comparison, he shoots with Nikons, I shoot with Canons, Voigtlander, Zeiss and Leica, My brother now has to adjust to "high speed" 100 ASA film, honestly do not know how he put up with 25 ASA film for so many years, I have to have a minimum of 100, 200 is even better! LOL!
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 06-28-2013 at 12:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agx has mentioned the possibility that Agfa Belgium purchased some of the Master Rolls from Agfa Leverkusen when they were in insolvency?
    I did not speak of master rolls.

I remember something really profound about my two 35mm CR-200 rolls that were yellow, the film edge markings said "CR-200 Germany", the package said film was from Belgium, could it be that the bad batch was indeed German made, shipped to Belgium then shipped to Maco/Rollei in Germany? I think I am going to see what type of base this film is coated on that I have, Tri-acetate? would be German, PE1 Polyethylene would be from Belgium.
    I replied on this, to me invalid, theory in detail in PM.

you know what is interesting is that Agfa does indeed list Aviphot Chrome 200 as being available in 35mm on the Pdf I posted earlier, Agfa USA rep once told me the traffic survelance film is available in cartridges if you order enough of it, hence it is possible Agfa Belgium still has 35mm and 120 film packaging capabilities.
    Not their reversal colour film but their 400 ISO unmasked colour film is offered as type 135 by Agfa.

Agfa has no longer type 120 converting facilities.

Agfa retracted from the consumer business long ago. There is no sign at all they would enter that field again on their own behalf.
    Last edited by AgX; 06-20-2013 at 05:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Kodachrome replacement? I am thinking you are referring to Kodachrome 200? I had used a roll or two and thought it was good, it is my brother who has over 25,000 Kodachrome slides who had a bit to say about Kodachrome 200, he said it had a bit of a pinkish cast to it, I thought it looked fine, my brother's favorite was the ultra slow 25 ASA Kodachrome, one thing for certain my brother would not even consider the thought of using Agfachrome or Ektachrome, he uses Velvia now.

I remember in 1976 when Kodak first introduced the E-6 Ektachrome 64 Professional film, This was the first E-6 Ektachrome, it looked and still looks absolutely fabulous today, has not faded or changed one bit!

I recently stockpiled 30 rolls of Ektachrome 100VS, this is the last Ektachrome and the best, no other E-6 film will ever match it.

You really should not compare the 200 speed Agfa slide with 200 speed Kodachrome per se, the Agfachrome has much better shadow detail and exposure latitude than Kodachrome, Why? You look at my brother's last Kodachrome 64 slides shot in the same place compared to my Agfachrome slides and the Kodachrome is way higher contrast with less shadow detail, we are both very active Railroad and train photographers and often shoot side by side so that is why I can comment rather accurately about how Kodachrome and Agfachrome look in a side by side comparison, he shoots with Nikons, I shoot with Canons, Voigtlander, Zeiss and Leica, My brother now has to adjust to "high speed" 100 ASA film, honestly do not know how he put up with 25 ASA film for so many years, I have to have a minimum of 100, 200 is even better! LOL!

Ive sent you a PM
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 06-28-2013 at 12:16 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Quote edited to conform to edits above.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I certainly thank Agx for the info, correct info about Agfa Belgium.

This info is helpul in our quest to figure out the origin and who packed the "Yellow" CR-200

Perhaps the "Traffic Surveilance film" offerred by Agfa which is the 400 ISO Unmasked colour neg film seems to be the only offering from Agfa in 35mm cartridges. The USA Agfa rep mentioned a rather large order would need to be purchased and a bit of a wait for the order to be filled, did not get any prices but it looks like you can order it here in the USA, it is just a lot easier to order the same film from Maco/Rollei which is nice film, no probelms reported with this film everyone seems to like it

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin