Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,688   Online: 878

Page 1 of 24 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Color correction for Rollei Digibase CR200?

I actually finally got around to shooting a roll of Rollei Digibase CR200 a few weeks back. I had somewhat high hopes for this film, since I have heard that it is probably the closest E6 to Kodachrome. But the slides I got back were quite yellow. This seems to be rather common with this film, and is supposedly the result of the film being intended for aerial photography. But I couldn't find anything in terms of what people are doing to correct this yellow cast. Might some sort of cooling filter work? And if anyone has actually found a filter that corrects this yellow cast, what specific filter was it that you used?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've not heard it was for aerial- interesting. I have a high-altitude filter but it is a slightly warming filter.

My impression is that most use this film and its CN companion for scanning... in which case shooting a color target and then making the necessary adjustments is quite easy. Why not shoot a color separation chart under the light you like, using your best guess filters, and take it from there. I'd be interesting in seeing your results, and some detail crops.

If you liked Kodachrome then let me suggest Astia 100F.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I've not heard it was for aerial- interesting. I have a high-altitude filter but it is a slightly warming filter.
    As I understand it, because Digibase CR200 was made for aerial use, the film itself was made overly warm so that no color correction filter would be needed when used for this purpose. However, I'm guessing some sort of cooling filter will probably be needed for it to look acceptable for normal photography.

If you liked Kodachrome then let me suggest Astia 100F.
    I've tried Astia. And at least to my eyes, it doesn't look much like Kodachrome. To me, it looks ALOT more like desaturated Velvia than it does Kodachrome. Of course, this is probably because it is made by, well, Fuji. I personally think E100G looks ALOT more like Kodachrome than Astia does. Besides, last I heard, Astia has gone the way of Kodachrome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
    As I understand it, because Digibase CR200 was made for aerial use, the film itself was made overly warm so that no color correction filter would be needed when used for this purpose. However, I'm guessing some sort of cooling filter will probably be needed for it to look acceptable for normal photography.

I've tried Astia. And at least to my eyes, it doesn't look much like Kodachrome. To me, it looks ALOT more like desaturated Velvia than it does Kodachrome. Of course, this is probably because it is made by, well, Fuji. I personally think E100G looks ALOT more like Kodachrome than Astia does. Besides, last I heard, Astia has gone the way of Kodachrome.

Astia is still available in all sizes from Japan and at reasonable prices. I recently got some 220 that way.

That's interesting about the CR200. Not sure why they'd bother making an aerial film at this stage though, I'll contact them and see if they'll sell me a bulk roll!

Shooter
    35mm
    That's interesting about the CR200. Not sure why they'd bother making an aerial film at this stage though, I'll contact them and see if they'll sell me a bulk roll!
    As far as I know, it's an old Agfa film. So I figure it's something that was originally made decades ago.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
    As far as I know, it's an old Agfa film. So I figure it's something that was originally made decades ago.
    Maybe not old, as AGFA is still in the aerial film business.
    http://www.agfa.com/sp/global/en/int...aphy/index.jsp

It's most likley AVIPHOT Chrome.
    http://www.agfa.com/sp/global/en/bin...m611-42591.pdf

Colour rendering
    A UV filter prevents colour shifts and unsharpness due to UV radiation. An interlayer prevents the diffusion of unwanted colour dyes form one sensitive layer into another. So, the colours are well separated and the colour saturation is very good. Aviphot Chrome 200 is suitable for a colour temperature of 5500K.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Astia is still available in all sizes from Japan and at reasonable prices. I recently got some 220 that way.

From where are you buying it in 220?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagic View Post
    From where are you buying it in 220?
    http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/p...roducts_id=243

Shooter
    35mm
    I just thought I would attach a couple of scans here. The scans are unaltered, and you can clearly see the 'yellowness' of the images. Notice how it even tends to turn the sky green in the picture of the tree. What's also kind of interesting is that the yellowishness is supposedly intended to counteract the blueness of high altitude shots. Yet both of these pics were taken at significant altitude (about 8000ft in the first, over 10000ft in the second).

Last edited by StorminMatt; 01-24-2012 at 03:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt:

I don't think the colour cast in those is just yellow - I think there is a fair bit of green as well.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 24 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin