Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,869   Posts: 1,583,297   Online: 1122

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images

Colour paper that isn't flimsy - suggestions.

I recently used some old AGFA Signum paper that has a nice thick base and feels almost like a double weight paper.
    Is there any modern colour paper that has a thick base? The regular Fuji Crystal Archive is just so damn thin.
    Thanks.
    Tom.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Color has to be rolled the opposite direction on the master roll for you folks in the southern hemisphere. Really, I think Fuji switched papers to get a whiter base (an improvement in this respect). It's not hard to handle if you've ever had to handle polyester base material, which crinkles
    way easier. What I did is make a sheet plastic sled that goes between my cutting table (or paper safe upon it) and the vacuum easel on my enlarger. It just clips in place with location tab I can
    feel in the dark to remove it if necessary. Volume printers have cutters built into the process, which
    are basically married to their Chromira or Lightjet printers, or adjacent to optical enlargers. I have a
    big table with a 48" Rototrim cutter, then just pop the lip of the sled over the round cutter bars and
    slide the paper onto the easel about another 4 ft away. The sides of the slide have been turned up
    with basic heat gun bending, and any edges carefully smoothed too. It works great and didn't cost
    much to make.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Hi Drew, thanks for the reply. I've been buying in sheets but would have to cut my own for any other kind of paper.
    My problem isn't handling but on that the skinniness of the paper is not as pleasing as a heavier paper.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There's a new brand of RA paper being distributed in this country. I haven't tried it. Plus plenty of
    Kodak as well as older Type C Fuji still around. Sorry I can't say much about them. I'm going to
    standardize on the new Type II just for the color improvement and alleged best permanence. I have
    no idea what choices you've got down in Oz.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Drew have you tried the type II yet? If so let me know how it goes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I measured the thickness of both type C and type II Fuji papers and they are exactly the same (about 0.010", if I remember right). The papers are nearly indistinguishable in most other ways as well (except for a very slight change in the green sensitivity which is easily compensated for).

Warren N

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Thanks Warren, that's very helpful.
    Is there a Kodak paper that's thicker?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Is there a Kodak paper that's thicker?
    I don't know how many colour papers Kodak still make but I have all my pro work printed on Endura and it has always, to my senses, been thicker than Fuji CA but I have not put a micrometer on it. Kodak used to have thinner photofinishing papers one of which was called Edge. Endura has a copyright notice printed diagonally on the back whereas the photofinishing papers generally had the turned edge Kodak paper logo.

You are right about Agfa Signum. Before I stopped printing colour in 2004, I used a couple of boxes of it on the recom of another photographer and liked it very much. It did appear to be a bit thicker than the others, had a much whiter base than the Kodak papers and a great colour palette. I probably would have kept using it had I kept printing but then I would have run into the issue of AgfaPhoto going belly-up in 2005! OzJohn

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Thanks OzJohn. I'm still on the lookout. Maybe I need to sample some.

Yes the AGFA paper is so great. It's very sad it's gone!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a 300' roll of Kodak Edge paper and I measured its thickness: it is the same (~0.010") as the current Fuji type C and type II. I have heard that Edge paper has similar photographic properties as Endura, but have never tried the latter. I think that Endura is supposed to be thicker.

Warren N

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin