Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,502   Posts: 1,571,732   Online: 939

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

is it possible to redevelop film?

I have just processed some film in a jobo rotary and there are streaky areas of blue in my skies which look like uneven ddeveloping. I know you can rebleach and fix but is it possible to redevelop to try and get rid of thesee streeaks??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, PM Photo Engineer
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ill guess a lot other members would like to read PEs answer,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm afraid it's too late to redevelop. Unlike b/w film, color does not retain any silver after bleach and fix is done. Once silver is gone, there is not much you can do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No. Once you fixed the image, the undeveloped but exposed silverhalides that you needed to develop in the first go, are gone, meaning you can not "correct" a developing error like streaks caused by bad rotation.

You can bleach a B&W film image and redevelop it, but it will come back with the same streaks and uneveness of the original.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    I'm afraid it's too late to redevelop. Unlike b/w film, color does not retain any silver after bleach and fix is done. Once silver is gone, there is not much you can do.
    100% correct, once the silvers gone no.

There is a techniquee called looping which was used by astronomers where a colour film was developed and fixed, then washed and bleached in a rehalogenating bleach and redeveloped this built up the dyes and could be repeated a few times before finally bleching and fixing.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yep Ian you are correct, some call it rehal or acceleration too. I have played with it a bit with interesting results, but re the OP, like you say, is out of luck unfortunately
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    No. Once you fixed the image, the undeveloped but exposed silverhalides that you needed to develop in the first go, are gone, meaning you can not "correct" a developing error like streaks caused by bad rotation.

You can bleach a B&W film image and redevelop it, but it will come back with the same streaks and uneveness of the original.
    This is a colour film so all the silvers been removed if the bleach and fix went to completion. As the swirly bits are printing or scanning lighter from a negative it sounds unlikely the excess density was a developer isue but it could be incomplete bleach/fix or the bleach wasn't poured in fast enough and/or an agitation problem.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    curses-looks like the roll is lost. good job its only 45mins back to where i shot them!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilfbiffherb View Post
    curses-looks like the roll is lost. good job its only 45mins back to where i shot them!
    As has been stated here not all is necessarily lost in your case. Have you tried rebleach&fix yet?
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin