Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,919   Posts: 1,521,980   Online: 1110

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wonder if this unmentionable transgression might be of particular use with a maskless c41 material... Rollei D***base CN...

Obviously the reason why this'd interest me is not to get lab-quality colour. But there are plenty of projects in my noggin, including 100% orthodox analogue ones, that don't require perfect negative colour.

~~~

I actually look forward to TEOTWAKI, Michael. It will separate the talkers from the doers, and the experimentalists from the brandwankers, mighty quick. In one rapturous moment, the people who really understand the processes will ascend, leaving a vast majority scratching their heads in bitter disbelief and cursing an eternity among the pixelated flames of hell That is when the value of the traditional processes will start to really surprise people. Talbot and Niepce and all the rest will arise from the depths and kick some modern lazy ass.
    Last edited by keithwms; 02-04-2012 at 02:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keith;

Its "TEOTWAWKI".

Tsk!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Geez Ron WTF!

Sorry TEOTWAWKI... TEOTWAWKI... come, oh Teotwawki, come save us from eternal pixelation....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Actually I wonder if we shouldn't refer to this more correctly as TEOTWATKI

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I couldn't resist!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    we really like a low temperature dev, not all the time, but instead sometimes of pulling film ( the low temp seems the lesser of two evils) especially with x-pro. it works really nicely with fuji reala.
    as a pro lab it's about offering clients something different and the opposite of the "perfection" of digital, the process knocks back the contrast and allows a richer print. it may not be optimum but it's a creative option.
    Labyrinth Photographic Printing
    121 Roman Road, Bethnal Green, London E2 0QN
    020 8709 9961
    http://www.labyrinthphotographic.co.uk/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by labyrinth photo View Post
    we really like a low temperature dev, not all the time, but instead sometimes of pulling film ( the low temp seems the lesser of two evils) especially with x-pro. it works really nicely with fuji reala.
    as a pro lab it's about offering clients something different and the opposite of the "perfection" of digital, the process knocks back the contrast and allows a richer print. it may not be optimum but it's a creative option.
    I agree. I shoot alot of Pinhole and some Holga. Both of which are about content more than anything else. For color perfect photographs, I wouldn't stand develop, but for more artistic looks, it seems quite welcome in my dark room.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ron, hopefully this isn't too far OT, but are there any benefits to pre-soaking C-41 sheet film when developing in a Jobo Expert drum? The drum is pre-heated, but not rolled in a water bath during processing, so a certain amount of drift-through is taken into amount (start at 39 deg.C). Could you perhaps give some more details on the pros/cons of pre-soaking?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was a demo posted here about the benefits of a presoak which does a better job of prewarming the tank before development begins. I refer you to that.

Presumably, this benefit would be present in all cases but would decrease as process temperature goes down. The benefit of a prewet in reducing pinholes is not to be ignored either.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Straight Colour Developers at room temp are rubbish, I've played around with it, tried custom recipes to try and boost contrast, and they are generally just rubbish, not even getting to the colour, but simply dMax - dMin can be really small and difficult to work with in any kind of workflow.

30 celsius aint -too- bad mind you for 8 minutes if you really need something with a longer processing time.

The only thing that gives reasonable useable results at room temp for colour negs is:
    Split-Bath development - provides much better results than straight colour dev at room temp.
    Rehal development - b&w developer at 20 celsius, wash, fix, wash, rehal bleach, C-41 dev at room temp, wash, bleach, wash, fix, wash, etc.

Presoak for C-41 is great, I never do not use a pre-soak with C-41, if you are typically using paterson hand tanks as well, your temperature is stable enough over 3m 15s.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin