Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,331   Online: 999

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If Kodak or any others could have found a way to use C41 processing at lower temperatures, then we would have heard about it a long time ago.

The same logic can be applied to the classic statement: If Kodak will no longer make Kodachrome, we will make it in grandma's cesspool!

Sometimes it is necessary to state the obvious.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'll put it another way; I would not use C-41 at low temperature for even lomo results.

Shooter
    35mm
    How long should a presoak be? Should the temperature of the presoak be 100F? When I use the Tetanal kit, I get what appear to be tiny spots that don't seem to develop at all. Its easy enough to correct in the GIMP with the healing tool, but its annoying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use a 1' presoak, but not more than about 2' at 100F.

For those who insist on using a bogus process at lower temperatures, use a presoak at the same temp you are going to use.

If Kodak could have designed C41 quality into a lower temp process, they would have done it and saved all of the costs of tempering the solutions and washes. They could not.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't forget if you presoak @ 37.8 your temperature will drop several degrees.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, PE, that reassures me that I'm doing fine so far. Preheat the 3010 drum for 2' in a 39°C water bath, two 30" presoaks at 38.5°C, then dev. starting at 39ºC, since temp. most certainly drops during 3'15" of rolling on a table. Sheets and contact prints on three types of paper came out flawless, at least to my eyes. Water heated with two aquarium heaters cranked up a bit.
    Last edited by darkroom_rookie; 04-22-2012 at 01:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Cooler is Unpredictable

Quote Originally Posted by wilfbiffherb View Post
    im into developing my own film and the rollei digibase kits i use are come with instructions for lower temps. i have always processed at 37.8 but was wondering if there are any benefits of developing at lower temps at all??
    I've developed extensive C-41 at both 86 deg F and at 100 deg F and the 86 deg results were unpredictable, and the color often enough tending warm (read unhealthy) in appearance. My standard procedure now is to stick with the higher temp processing.
    [FONT="Arial"][/FONT]John Weinland

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Using press kits I find no significant difference between 37.5, 35 or 30 degrees. Maybe they were designed to give more leeway? Or maybe it's just me. But since temp control as well as time errors are less complicated at lower temps, I tend to use 30C most of the time. Oh, and I also use Fuji C-41. Pro 400H, most of the time. Scans well and with no correction to minor correction needed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin