Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,697   Online: 790

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Dont use Photo Flo with the Arista Kit. Instead buy some Kodak E6 Final Rinse. Very inexpensive, acts as photo flo to prevent drying spots, and also has anti fungal properties to preseve the film from microbe attack. Doesnt solve the color shifting issue though, only a formalin type rinse will do that. You can buy that if you wish from maco direct . de
    They sell the Tetenal E6 Stabilizer (final) rinse. 1L concentrate to make 1000L, about $35
    BTW, the Tetenal kit is much better than the Arista. Colors look as good as Kodaks kit. Arista color saturation tends to be very high, making skin tones look too saturated. And no Stabilizer / Final Rinse is included or even recommended (foolishly). Kodak kit is of course the best, but sadly no longer available, and its very expensive to buy the mass chemicals in bulk quantity now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Kodak final rinse will not work properly unless one of the earlier steps in the process contained formalin. The Pre Bleach contains this in the Kodak and Fuji kits.

So, somewhere, an E6 process must contain a Formalin step or a Formaldehyde derivative or the dyes will fade.

This is not true of C41 since about 2000 or thereabouts.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry to awake this thread, but what if you cross process, do you still need a formalin wash?
    Everybody has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.
    My Website and Gallery is at www.bcarlsonmedia.com
    My Twitter is @brendancarlson

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I started a thread last year re this very thing (slide film cross processed) and the answer is yes....

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/9...de-c-41-a.html
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ALL E6 FILM REQUIRES FORMALIN!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    ALL E6 FILM REQUIRES FORMALIN!

PE
    Watch out - PE may be changing into David Lyga!!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt;

Just getting tired repeating it so often when it is here and on PN. Sorry!

See my post #7 here.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wasn't there a thread here recently with a link to a supply of a stabilizer that contained formalin? I can't seem to find it now.

All I can find for sale online is 10% formalin but multiplying the quantity in the final rinse from the formula in the other thread should work ok, assuming there is nothing else hostile to the film in the 10% formalin available.

Also there's the announcement from Freestyle in the partner forum that they will be importing and selling the full line of Tetenal color chems as of June. Isn't the Tetenal E6 kit a six bath with stabilizer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IDK about the Tetenal kit, but I expect that theirs will end up looking just like the Kodak kit if they are mixing Kodak formulas (see the other thread about Tetenal on this). There is also a thread I started that summarizes formalin use in C-41 (old and new) and all E6 processes.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, I found the thread I was thinking of - it was just a link to Kodak C41 stabilizer, which is readily available but does not contain the Formalin. Might as well mix ones own from Photo-Flo and formalin. But I'm not jumping into E6 yet until I get a decent scanner, so I can wait to see what the Tetenal kit looks like.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin