Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,997   Online: 789

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

E6 and Photo Flo

should or can you use Photo Flo on E6 film?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I believe you need a final rinse specifically for slide film because not using such you film will deteriorate due to not having the antifungal agent which prevents the degradation of the film plus it has a element in it that makes it dry streak free, Photoflo I don't believe has an anti fungal and thus you stand to lose you film over time due to this fact

I think this is what wd work
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...nal_Rinse.html
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok, that sounds like a No. I recently bought an E6 kit from Freestyle and yes it says to final rinses for 5-mins with water. I only asked about the photo flo because to me it seems to help a lot with BW. And this will be my first time trying E6.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    PE has commented extensively on the final wash for E6, check out his comments here for recipe plus explanation.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Please read this:
    I worked in a medical clinic and routinely used Formalin (part of PE's formula). It is used to preserve tissue samples for lab analysis. It can be used safely. Gloves are a MUST. This is the warning on the medical grade Formalin that I use.

Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen. It should only be handled by personnel wearing protective clothing such as gloves.
    Formaldehyde is a noxious gas. Formalin must be kept in a sealed container in a well-ventilated area. Exposure to fumes will result in irritation to eyes and respiratory surfaces.
    Some people develop a sensitivity to formalin over a period of time which involves repeated handling of the chemical. These individuals should avoid handling the chemical. Please err on the side of safety.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    charlief64, I agree we should mention the potential dangers possibly arising from the chems we have in our recipes. I have called for that inmultiple occasions yet failed to do that here

On the other side it should be mentioned that the formalin used in the final rinse is very dilute (see PE's recipe), which means not just less of the stuff around the user but also less likelihood of nasty fumes. It's still a good idea to keep the concentrated formalin in a vented area and to not poke your nose into it when you mix the final rinse. Also note that I was unable to get 37% formalin, 20% was the highest concentration they would sell to me (random doofus without any license or permit for toxic substances).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unfortunately, the E6 process must contain formaldehyde in one form or another in the process for proper image stability. The Kodak method (and Fuji) is to use the Formaldehyde Bisulfite adduct, a safe and odorless version of Formalin, for this purpose in one of the process steps. If this is not done, then the formalin must be in the final step!

Kits from other companies cannot use this method and so the formalin must be in the final step. This is due to the proprietary nature of using the Bisulfite Formalin adduct.

BTW, I have one of the patents on this!

And yes, I know how toxic Formaldehyde is purported to be. I know of many EK scientists who used it for years. They don't seem to be suffering from the symptoms claimed to result from use of Formaldehyde. Interpret that as you wish, but the average photo engineer is as healthy or ill as the average population in spite of the use of chemicals like this.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did't want to scare anyone. I to, have used It for many years. No ill effects. My Point was, Just use common sense and "Don't Get Any On You".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    And yes, I know how toxic Formaldehyde is purported to be. I know of many EK scientists who used it for years. They don't seem to be suffering from the symptoms claimed to result from use of Formaldehyde. Interpret that as you wish, but the average photo engineer is as healthy or ill as the average population in spite of the use of chemicals like this.
    The average photo engineer worked in a well equipped lab, had a fume hood at his disposal and a great deal of understanding of what kind of materials he dealt with. This is most likely not the case with random folks trying to mix a final rinse because their kit didn't come with one. This may or may not apply to the thread starter but it inevitably applies to some of the folks who will read this thread a few years from today.

Note that the same shop which happily sells me hydroquinone powder, potassium ferricyanate powder and lye pellets in any quantity I can afford would give me formalin only in 20% or lower concentration. There must be something nasty about formalin at higher concentrations and a recipe posted to a public forum listing it a ingredient should carry some form of warning notice for the unwashed masses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are right from one POV but from another you must consider the quantity and frequency that we used it! Sometimes it was liters at a time and every work day of the year.

PE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin