Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,064   Online: 1085

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Occasional C-41; Which Kit?

I've been deliberating over which C-41 kit to try for very occasional (infrequent) development -- i.e. one or two rolls a month: The Arista liquid kit (1 Qt.) or the Unicolor powder kit (1 L). I'll be using a small Paterson tank.

For most things, I'm happy to drop my film off at Target. Processing is 95 cents. But certain things they can't do (medium format, cross-processing), and other things I might not want them to do (critical rolls, Ektar). I've been developing a lot of black and white over the past year (D76) and I think I'm ready to try C-41.

Thanks for your help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For infrequent use like two rolls per month, I'd stick with Target, inc your Ektar 100. The powder kits don't last long when mixed, so you would be processing every 6 months or so. Can't comment on the Arista liquid as I have no experience with it. I'd suggest you up your quantity a lot and go for the Kodak chems listed in the sticky at the top of the forum.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Fuji chemicals refrigerate well (once mixed) for a few months at least and I suspect the Rollei ones will be similar. You can get some very small Rollei kits, like 1L that does about 16-20 rolls. Shoot a bit more, stock up for a couple months and there you go.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yeah, occasional and home-processing C-41 have "compatibility" problems. One part of the developer is wicked unstable when exposed to oxygen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Formulary sells repackaged Kodak kits in 1L sizes. I'm using them.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    PE: how many rolls of 35mm can you do with the 1L kit?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Same capacity as 1L of Kodak chems. It is on the EK web site, but I forget the figures OTOMH. It is Kodak chemistry repacked under nitrogen.

Sorry.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah I've looked at that. I also forget the exact numbers, but whenever I read them, I get the sense that it will cost me in the neighborhood of $2-3/roll based on the kit cost. Which seems too expensive to me.

Ok, I looked it up again (here). That document states that the capacity for the bleach, fixer, and final rinse are 10 rolls of 135-36 and not to reuse the developer. My SS 4 roll tank is about 32 oz or ~1 liter. So I'd use up the all of the developer in the first 4 rolls. Even if I did reuse the developer by adjusting times (assuming you can do so) and got 10 rolls out of the liter kit, that's still about $3/roll, ignoring shipping.

Am I missing something here?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    ... still about $3/roll, ignoring shipping.

Am I missing something here?
    It's a matter of volume. If all you do is 10 rolls, then this is the kit to get. And yes, it will cost about $3/roll for the professional quality processing done by the person who actually cares about the film in question . If the price is your concern, and you are planning to do more than 10 rolls, then get separate chemicals - the cost per roll will be much less, though initial cost will be a bit over $100. Or you can get the Formulary kit to start with and buy the chemicals separately as you run out of them. You are likely to run out of developer first, then fixer and then bleach. That gives you time to watch e-bay for bargains

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ok, just making sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin