Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,531,992   Online: 1132

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My father's Kodachrome slides from the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s and early 1980s look as though they were shot and processed last week; the colors are as rich and vibrant as - I would guess - they day they were shot. His Ektachromes from the 1950s and early 1960s (when he apparently gave up on the film) are of uneven condition: some look almost as good as the Kodachromes; others have a blue cast. Perhaps the determining factor is the quality of processing? His small collection of Fujichrome slides - all shot between 1974 and 1976 - look like s#*t: all have faded to magenta (all are in Fujichrome cardboard mounts). Dad's collection was stored for its entire life in his "man cave" (i.e. his basement den, with a humidity of around 45-50 per cent (humidifier) and a year round temperature of 18-20C (68-70F range, more or less).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dmtry View Post
    Which modern alternatives I can use for slide archiving?
    None, Kodachrome was unique that's the point.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dmtry View Post
    Which modern alternatives I can use for slide archiving?

There is a suggestion in the Wilhelm Research data, modern E6 Ektachrome films have dark storage fade rates similar to Kodachrome in the least stable dye, however light fading rates below Fujichrome. The data is over twenty years old now, so there may have been improvements made to both ranges of Kodak and Fuji films.

Only time will tell...how stable the modern E6 films will be.
    Last edited by bishy; 02-08-2012 at 10:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    But, but... I'm always told that film is immortal and only d*****l files spontaneously rot?
    -brian hayden
    http://fed-2.org

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zumbido View Post
    But, but... I'm always told that film is immortal and only d*****l files spontaneously rot?
    Film = Elves
    Digital = Orcs

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've been scanning slides taken by my grandparents from the 40's through the early 70's. Mostly on Agfachrome, but some Kodachrome and Ektachrome. The Kodachrome looks as good as new. The Agfachrome has a variable amount of fade, with some looking decent, and some pretty bad. It's still correctable digitally. The Ektachrome has mostly gone red, and isn't easily fixable. The Agfachrome does seem to have been attacked by fungus the most of the three types, but none has avoided the fungus completely. Storage wasn't ideal at my grandparents house, or my Dad's where it spent some time in a humid basement.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a few boxes of Fujichrome that I shot as far back as back as 1986. I can't see any evidence of fading or colour shift in them & they look just as fresh as the Kodachrome that I shot in the same period. I have read horror stories that E6 slides of this age should be quite degraded by this age, but I am just not seeing it with mine.
    David.

NAS sufferer with far too much Nikon kit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin