Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,176   Online: 974

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jbl
    Shooter
    35mm RF

magenta cast in the shadows

I've had a few rolls of C-41 from time to time show a distinct magenta cast in the shadows of the positive (scan). Often, I can correct for a color cast, but it seems that in these cases the darker areas of the frame (corresponding to the thinner areas of the negative) have a different color cast than the brighter areas.

Since it happens with some rolls and not with others, I'm assuming this is a processing error on my part. Is there any way to know what part I messed up?

Thanks,

-jbl

EDIT: I've been checking my notes on this and I think I may have seen this more with Portra 400 than with Ektar or with Fuji Pro 400H.
    Last edited by jbl; 02-13-2012 at 08:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Are you maintaining 100 degrees during development? Are you reusing any of the chemicals? What brand chemicals are you using?
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

jbl
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm using the Rollei kit. In the most recent case, the chemicals were freshly mixed.

Is it possible to know if my temperature was off or if my development time was too long? Would one manifest one way or the other?

-jbl

Shooter
    Large Format
    Without running control strips and doing the sensitometry anybody's guess is as good as the next person's. It's very hard to keep c41 in control at a lab let alone a home drkrm.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Kodak recommends measuring the temperature immediately after development to be sure it was at temperature during development. If there is a significant difference between the temperature before and after development, then your control needs to be improved.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One possibility is a bit of underexposure.

When you print from the straight line portion of all three curves your color balance is normally either globally good or bad.

When film is underexposed, you can easily end up printing off one or two of the toes of the 3 color curves. In this case the shadows will show problems and the rest will be okay, or vice versa.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

jbl
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the help everyone. Some more data.... I've seen this with two rolls of Portra 400 I processed myself a couple of months apart with a different mixing of chemicals (same concentrate, just two batches of working solution). I've also seen this with a roll of Reala I shot back in July that was processed commercially at a decent lab (it was at a fairly good local camera store, not at a mini lab). I'm attaching a few examples of this.

portra-1 is the example from August that I processed. portra-2 is the example from the other day that I processed. reala is the example from July that was commercially processed. Only one of these photos is any good :-).

-jbl

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	portra-1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	441.4 KB 
ID:	46281

Name:	portra-2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	501.6 KB 
ID:	46282

Name:	reala.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	563.0 KB 
ID:	46283

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The color issues appear to be global not just in the shadows, and given that and the variety of places it's happening, my guess is now that it's in the digital processing.

Have you asked this over on DPUG ?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I want to report similar problems I've been having with Portra 400. No problems with Pro 400H or Ektar (i'm processing Reala later on, we'll see how that goes).
    Only the darkest grays and browns seem to be affected. It's not as drastic as in the above examples, but still, there's quite a bit of violet in places where it doesn't belong. Film underexposure could have caused something like this. But Portra 400 is famous for great exposure latitude, up to ±2 stops shouldn't produce significant change, and my negatives are nowhere near these limits.
    I'm using Fuji 5-liter C-41 kits and Fuji Crystal Archive and Crystal Archive Type DPII papers in Kodak Ektacolor RA4. All Portra rolls in question came from the same box and are presumably the same emulsion batch.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Take a screen shot of the scanner histogram of the scan preview (no this is not something for DPUG) this will see relative densities and if there is a problem with exposure or processing.

But given it's home processing vs your processing with similar results, and the squizzing at the image in an editor and looking, they all appear underexposed or possibly underprocessed (short time, low temp or under replenished), they're unlikey to have the exact same fudge up as you, so I'd guess underexposure.

If you're relying on your camera to do the metering, take the same exposure readings and put it in a digital camera, or compare it to a light meter if you can borrow one or have one, it should tell you if it's off by a fair bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin