Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,937   Online: 827

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I really appreciate all the replies. I did stop at the local camera shop for Portra and they had none for 35mm. The person I spoke with there had suggested using Fiji superia 400. She went as far as bringing up images shot with Portra and Superia. The Superia is more saturated in its color rendition and that concerns me that lighter skin tones may look "bacony" due to the higher saturation. I really wanted to visit the location in person but unfortunately the event coordinator doesn't seem to understand the importance. So as much as I wouldn't want to go into this blind, I'm not left with much choice. Does anyone have suggestions as to an online source that can have the film shipped to me by the middle of the week so I can shoot a test roll to get the "feel" of it?

Quote" Nothing wrong with direct flash if you confident with your lighting, I've used it all the time. IIRC the SB-26 has a optical slave mode. Therefore you can place it off camera, such as on one of your tripods for ceiling bounce elsewhere, with another on your camera also ceiling bounce to cover a wider area with more light, or ceiling bounce the SB-26 off camera, and weak direct flash to fill a little." End quote

I generally never photograph anyone with flash directly if I can help it and if I have to because of circumstances compensate between -1 to -2 on the flash. That usually keeps the subject from looking burned out or like "a deer caught in the headlights" appearance. I just got the SB26 so I haven't had the chance to use it yet but I have read plenty on its use on various forums and in some books. The experience I have with other flash units and from what I have learned I feel confident on how to handle it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by micwag2 View Post
    I see you're in Horsham, PA. I'm in the Lansdale area. Besides Cardinal, any other reputable camera shops with film around?
    New York Camera in Southampton. www.nycv.com

A little pricey compared to B&H but not bad. They also do 35mm and 120 E6 in house.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forget the local shop. Call or web order from B&H or Adorama. You can pay for 2nd day shipping and still have it cheaper than you're likely to find at a local shop that has limited selection.

Normally I'm all for supporting local shops when possible, but not when they don't have what you want and try to sell you something less suitable because they do have that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Forget the local shop. Call or web order from B&H or Adorama. You can pay for 2nd day shipping and still have it cheaper than you're likely to find at a local shop that has limited selection.

Normally I'm all for supporting local shops when possible, but not when they don't have what you want and try to sell you something less suitable because they do have that.
    B&H and Adorama are both out of stock. I turned to eBay. Seller (theimagingworld) states its fresh and in stock. I'm hopeful they'll ship quickly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by micwag2 View Post
    B&H and Adorama are both out of stock. I turned to eBay. Seller (theimagingworld) states its fresh and in stock. I'm hopeful they'll ship quickly.
    Ouch - didn't realize that. I generally buy from Freestyle even though it's more expensive than from New York, because I have less trouble getting deliveries and because I'm usually ordering darkroom supplies anyway, and get film while I'm at it.

You could get it at Freestyle, in stock as I just checked, but shipping it from California would add a lot of money if you need it quickly.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Ouch - didn't realize that. I generally buy from Freestyle even though it's more expensive than from New York, because I have less trouble getting deliveries and because I'm usually ordering darkroom supplies anyway, and get film while I'm at it.

You could get it at Freestyle, in stock as I just checked, but shipping it from California would add a lot of money if you need it quickly.
    The place I ordered from is in New York so less distance I'm hoping it arrrives sooner without paying higher shipping charges.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I should have followed the link. Hope you get it soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Having read your post, I'm less concerned about the film you use, and more worried about things you may not have covered about the gathering e.g. fluoro, high intensity lighting and its impact on colour, auto flash illuminating only part of a sitting party, deep, distracting shadows... As a start, all the flashes should be diffused or bounced (not ever direct) and test runs should be done before the event to ascertain how the equipment delivers results (if you haven't done that previously). Having organised the unknowns, then deal with film. If the customer is not fussy about colour you can get away with anything in terms of film; ensure there are no casts when scanning (use neutral eyedropper to set white point as a start). If you are going to be working the floor from one end to the other, travel light, meaning just one camera and flash; you may otherwise fall victim to theft. I think it would be essential for you to visit the location before the event to make notes of lighting (natural and incidental), viewpoints etc. After thoroughly preparing the groundwork, film and cameras are then the considerations to actually exploring the venue thoroughly for opportunities and problems. Don't get too carried away with professional vs consumer emulsions. In the scan (where many problems come up) will not actually be 100% faithful to negative/positive colour.

poisson du jour
    says what i alluded to much better than i could have said it.
    know the place you are photographing in
    flash will kill your situation, any film will due,
    as long as you know your setting, and your processor
    doesn't hose you, and your repro is OK

good luck
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, looks like I'm set. The Portra arrived yesterday and its well within date. My gear is packed and I'm ready to go. This will be fun.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I want to again, say thanks for everyones input. I used the Portra 400 with flash and bounced it off the ceiling with good results. I was limited to using my tripod, N90s with the SB-26 and my N70 with the built in flash. The event coordinator didn't want me to go "overboard" by bringing additional lighting so all I had was the available light and the afore mentioned flashes. I had the processor make 4x6's and digital scans. I was disappointed with the printing job and the scans. Both prints and scans have a line going through all the frames. The scans in my opinion look very poor quality. The scans have dirt specs and seem more pixelated than i would expect. I didn't look at them at the store when i picked them up so I'll call them today to request them to be redone correctly. Here's one of the picture scans they gave me. If you look about 1/3 up from the bottom you can see the line.

And here is another shot from a different roll they scanned.

I took a few photos of the cat to finish the roll. Look at the lower left of the cat and below and to the right of the light switch in the photo and you can see the dirt in the scans. Also check both photos and you can see the line 1/3 up from the bottom. What do you folks think? Am I being fussy or is this unacceptable?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin