Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,433   Online: 781

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

no more reliable labs in or around boston. what a waste :(

Just got some 4X5 back from colortek boston. This is the second and last time i will be using them.
    After color services gave me back negs that were just plain bad, i though i should try this place. But heck, its the same crap.
    I am considering just buying bulk chemicals and going back to doing it at home, where i got near perfect results every time, but since i am not longer in school and do not shoot as much, i figured why not let someone else do it for me? how wrong i was.
    And to think there are people out there using these labs not knowing that they get back negs that look oh so so bad...

My chief complaints, with out being an anal photo nerd:

Huge halos of higher density around the clamp marks.
    Uneven development.
    Scratches, dust and other dirt visible to the naked eye.
    Some but not all have water dry down sediment marks, that seem to be embedded as i tried to re wash some of them.

Arrgg... why bother go out shooting, then spend money on film and processing, scanning and so on if its just so bad...???

Any one know a "real" lab around here that is better? do i really need to send this out to NYC if i do not want to do it myself?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want it done right, do it yourself.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My cats say the same thing

Shooter
    Large Format
    is spectrum still around ?
    what about panpticon ? ( or do they only do b/w )?
    what about dorian in arlington ?

you are lucky in boston, at least there is someone to bring sheet film to
    here on rhode island we have to ship it out of state
    Last edited by jnanian; 02-17-2012 at 08:14 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: called pan opticon photopticon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think that's "Panopticon", don't know if they're still around. Personally, I've only had good experiences with Color Services in Needham, but I don't shoot a lot of color....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Using the post office, you can pick a quality lab no doubt, then again, doing it yourself may be the ultimate, if you have the time and desire to do so. I have the same problem except I am only near smaller cities. With the price of postage round trip, and developing only cost, it will less expensive for me to do it myself. Although its been awhile since I have done any processing, I am confident that the quality will be on the high end. It definitely adds to the fun of photography, that is, doing the whole process.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Dorian is too far away to be logical to use, and in any case, i did try them twice, no luck there.
    Color services was as bad or worse then colotek.
    Providence has renaissance, behind the PP bus terminal, they are by far the worse of the lot in the area.
    Last time i used spectrum was back in 2005, so i cant say much about them, as everyone was pretty much near perfect not so long ago...
    I should say, that roll film processing is "OK", not great but hey, i get to get a dry neg with no hassles... so no real complaints. the sheet films are a totally different story...
    Up until last year wheni did my own c-42 the cost was less then a 1$ per roll or 2 sheets of 4X5... if i had larger runs it was even less then that.
    I hate complaining but i am getting tiered of this mess. i am thinking about trading up my imacon and med format gear towards scanning digital back...

Shooter
    Large Format
    renaissance is who i used to use, it was a 35minute drive 1 way ..
    they sold their lab and moved to pawtucket to do digital work.
    there was hope that someone would buy the lab ( building ) and lab ( equipment )
    to fill the huge hole they left, but no one did. printmakers in pawtucket is the last lab
    around to process e6 and c41 120 film here in ri ... so if i do e6 or c41 bigger than 120
    i have to mail it somewhere. its too bad you can't travel to / send it to dorian, i have only heard great things
    about them.

good luck !
    john

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you considered visiting them and talking to the manager/owner? Explain the situation and try to come to an understanding. They may try to improve if you reach out...
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yeah, i spoke to the guy at color services, and showed him my negatives and asked if i was getting something special, or something personally wrong with me\my negs.
    He said "this is how we do it" and walked away. this was the second time i brought it up. the first time i asked if something had changed, over the years, or did sheets film always come back this way? ( i am sure the answer is no, as not only i had proper film done by them in 05, but many a photographers who used them have full frame prints from sheet film in museums and such...)

I think they know its crap, but that all they can do really, or there is nothing they can do about it.

I had a similar talk with someone at colortek, but they did not seem to understand what i was talking about, obviously the neg was developed and there was an image on it, so why was i complaining?

As someone said, they only heard good things about color services, but as fact would have it, i have few good things to say about them.
    At any rater RI is such a small place, you go out of state everytime you leave your house...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin