Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,491   Posts: 1,542,947   Online: 867

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    That's really disappointing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by theDarkHorse View Post
    Should I try some new Kodak Portra 160 and/or 400? Ektar? Stick to Superia? Order 100 rolls of 160S from eBay?
    Buy 300 rolls from eBay and freeze them (you can buy pizza fresh). When you find a film you like, just stock it.

If the film really is discontinued, you'll have many years of what you like.

If the film is not really going to be discontinued, you'll have many years of what you like in any case.

The case may be that if many lovers act like you, the product will be "rationalized" (less formats) but kept alive. You'll have many years of what you like in every case, once again.

No reason not to hoard what you like. Frigidaire space is not that expensive.

Fabrizio

We are lucky people, we can stock years of preferred supplies with minimal expense, minimal hassle, and insignificant quality degradation. Wine lovers, tea lovers, cuisine passionates don't have this privilege. We have.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would suggest trying Reala. Or move to medium format where the film selections are greater! <-- never thought I'd be saying that
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    While not identical, I find that Reala is much closer to Pro160S than any of the Portras. Or you could just shoot more 120

I also very much prefer Pro160S over Portra160.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I would suggest trying Reala. Or move to medium format where the film selections are greater! <-- never thought I'd be saying that
    That's what I thought too when I read that until I realised it's actually true. Reala is also 120 only nowadays. I've just put my Mamiya set into CLA, but when I get it back that might be the way to go.

I think I might still buy some stock from eBay and freeze it, just in case.
    Wishlist: Konica Hexar AF, Fuji GW690 or GSW690 series, Hasselblad XPan, Mamiya 7 - message me if you're selling one of these!

Shooter
    35mm
    This notification suggests 160S as a replacement for Reala, so I suppose Reala can be a replacement for 160S. Personally, I think Reala has more punch than 160S. If that notification turns out correct Reala may be no more and I wonder how long 160S can continue in only one format. I considered buying a medium format camera so I could keep on shooting Reala, in the event I just froze some 35mm film - enough to last two summers. If Reala is now dead in 120 I'm glad I didn't drop money on a new medium format kit.
    Steve.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lots of great film in medium format besides Reala. Don't limit yourself just because of that. You'll be missing out.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, of course, and equally lots of great film in 35mm. I never print bigger than 10"x8" so 120 is overkill for me.
    Steve.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're missing out, trust me. Buy a cheap TLR. :-)

(I primarily shoot 135 btw)
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin