Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,516   Posts: 1,572,140   Online: 1051

Shooter
    35mm

Protectan alternative

Any suggestions for alternatives to Tetenal Protectan? I am a bit leery about using a flammable substance like butane to top off my E6 chemicals to prevent oxidation. I just got 3 5L Tetenal kits in from Germany, with one opened and in use now. Want it to stay fresh as long as possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well it used to be a mix of propane and butane, therefore it was/is flammable. So use butane.
    Or off to your local welding supplier for a tank of Nitrogen and a regulator, approx $200-450 or so, depending on where you live.
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    I've seen a few folks recommend Bloxygen. It's basically Argon in an aerosol can, and is primarily marked to woodworkers for preventing leftover finish from skinning over in the can. I imagine it would work for photo chemicals as well.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Canned air is difluoroethane. It works great. And is cheap. I've used it for years on E-6 kits with excellent results. Don't worry about the 'flammability'...the head space you are filling is inconsequential.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Well it used to be a mix of propane and butane, therefore it was/is flammable. So use butane.
    Or off to your local welding supplier for a tank of Nitrogen and a regulator, approx $200-450 or so, depending on where you live.
    I got a tank and regulator for about $100 late last year in SE Wisconsin from a local branch of a welding gas supplier. I think it is a 25 gal. tank, lot of gas.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin