Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,111   Online: 1078

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by amsp View Post
    Tell him to start using film again, those shots looked extremely boring compared to his work on film and that made me sad
    The shots referenced by this quote and the post higher up about his latest shots with the M9 are crap and should never have been endorsed by either Leica or Magnum.

With the flood of similar snapshot-driven-nonsense, do we have no standards anymore?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Too bad Maxwell Street is no more

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by amsp View Post
    Tell him to start using film again, those shots looked extremely boring compared to his work on film and that made me sad
    I agree, fully. Must be digi-disease because if no one had told me it was Alex Webb, I would have thought the images were off one of the thousands Flickr pages of clueless people shooting an M9. Kodachrome is not and never will be, but the problem goes much deeper than that.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    I agree, fully. Must be digi-disease because if no one had told me it was Alex Webb, I would have thought the images were off one of the thousands Flickr pages of clueless people shooting an M9. Kodachrome is not and never will be, but the problem goes much deeper than that.
    Correct. It's not about the emulsion he was using previously it was the fact that he was not using feedback-driven visualization (shoot-chimp-shoot) and shots that actually cost something.

This is so commonly what digital does to people. It lifts a large amount of limitations and the common result is non-creative uninspired poo.

I know you're reading this Alex. Go back and shoot film.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Correct. It's not about the emulsion he was using previously it was the fact that he was not using feedback-driven visualization (shoot-chimp-shoot) and shots that actually cost something.

This is so commonly what digital does to people. It lifts a large amount of limitations and the common result is non-creative uninspired poo.

I know you're reading this Alex. Go back and shoot film.

You nailed it there, and I know because I fell for that as well. When the M9 came out, I got sucked into one and, almost immediately, it turned my world into mostly boring, flat, snapshot crap. I realized it fairly quickly and tried to save myself by shooting only b&w JPG and covering that damn ugly and silly screen with duct tape. Then of course I realized that I should have been shooting film all along and making prints in the darkroom instead of wasting my time and money. I'm sure Webb must have his reasons but the demise of Kodachrome just doesn't sound like a good one.

Not to derail the thread...I have maybe 20 rolls of K25 still in cryogenic freeze No process will make them as good as any b&w film out there, and since they can no longer deliver the colors they were designed to deliver, I will simply let them rest in peace. Kodachrome: no color = no good.
    Last edited by MaximusM3; 03-24-2012 at 08:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin