Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,756   Online: 1194

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Ektar + Crystal Archive - starting filtration

Howdy All,

I havenít given Ektar a try yet printing it on Fuji Crystal Archive optically and plan to do so this weekend.

Is anyone able to give me a pointer to the filter pack I should be starting with? I have gotten Fuji Reala & 400H reasonably close. How would the Ektar filter pack compare to these films?

Cheers

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It's hard to compare different colorheads. I'd just begin with whatever
    worked for your previous negs. That's what I did when I began printing
    Ektar and it didn't take much time to do the fine tuning. Besides this I had
    a very minor adjustment between CA Super C and the newer Type II. A bigger problem will be the idiosyncrasies with Ektar regarding color temp, but gross corrections in this dept can only be done when the shot is originally taken. It's a little less forgiving than traditional color neg films
    but also quite rewarding once you've figured it out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sure, I actually wasn't after values, moreso a comparison between filtration on this film compared to the Fuji films I listed above - I.E., 'Ektar requires much more (insert colour) then film Y'.

From what I have seen from scans, the reds are going to be the key - but this is from auto lab scans, which may be a bit fuddy anyway.

I'll just have to suck it and see!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The best 'waste' of a shot, when you are learning to print colour, is to make at least one sho on the roll with a grey card substantially filling the frame, and not shadowed by you or the camera. It need not be in focus.

Then when you are trialling to get the right pack, you can lay the grey card beside the print you have made and dried.

I know it sounds dumb, but try it for a roll or two.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have found that it needs a different amount of magenta filtration compared to other Kodak films. The base is more magenta than orange and this needs to be filtered by around 10 - 20 points on the enlarger head.

-Tim

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    ????? How are you processing that film, Tim? Are you sure you are talking about the base, or something completely different? The orange mask is very similar in value to that on Portra films.
    What format? I've shot and printed Ektar on everything from roll film to 8X10 (haven't printed any
    35mm yet).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    The best 'waste' of a shot, when you are learning to print colour, is to make at least one sho on the roll with a grey card substantially filling the frame, and not shadowed by you or the camera. It need not be in focus.

Then when you are trialling to get the right pack, you can lay the grey card beside the print you have made and dried.

I know it sounds dumb, but try it for a roll or two.
    That doesn't sound dumb at all - actually quite a simple and easy comparison and one that I should try. Thanks for the suggestion

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    OK, so I finally printed some up. Not sure if the colours were perfect, but I think they are close. Looks like the filtration was a lot more on both Magenta and Yellow. It took a few strips to get it right. Hopefully I am on the right track!

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    0C, 45Y, 45M is a good starting pack. What you need is a print viewing filter kit and viewing station.

Thomas
    Thomas

No art passes our conscience in the way that film does, and goes directly to our feelings, deep down into the dark rooms of our souls.
    ó Ingmar Bergman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The viewing pack I have, the viewing station I don't.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin