Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,365   Online: 843

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Who knows how to print in colour in Australia

I have never printed colour in the darkroom, and have no idea where to start. Trying to find a course around me is all but impossible, and a search of camera clubs to find someone locally who is still doing it has turned up nothing.

Is there anyone in Australia who teaches colour darkroom printing, or is there someone who prints colour that would be willing to teach someone how to do it.

A couple of things to note are that it will be contact printing 8x10 and 8x20 negatives (yes I know about 8x20 colour and have got a quote on it and will be ordering soon). I am extremely serious about doing this and am prepared to travel interstate in order to learn.
    Craig Griffiths

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    gold street studios (Victoria) conduct workshops in traditional and historic photographic processes. Ellie Young (director) may know of a colour printer in Australia. If you access the web site www.goldstreetstudios.com.au, information on contacting Ellie is on the site.

Lyn Arnold

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    thanks Lyn. Hadnt thought of asking Ellie.
    Craig Griffiths

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you give me a couple of months I can probably help but there might be others who are already set up and geographically closer. I'm currently waiting on my Kodak RA-4 chemicals to ship from the UK and I'm also still scrounging the parts for my water bath/processor so it might be a little while before I actually hang an RA-4 print to dry. I've done Ilfochrome in the past and don't envisage much difference other than tighter temperature controls and negative filter pack adjustments.

Roger.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Come down to Armidale and I'll show you what I know.
    It's dead easy, though.
    If you want to know about contrast masking, I'm not your man.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Another possible source for contacts is the Australian Centre for Photography in Sydney.
    Leica M6,
    Bessa R4A,
    Rolleiflex(s) 2.8/80, 4/135, 4/55.
    Nikkormat FTn
    Fuji X10

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Make contact with the Australian Institute of Professional Photography; their membership includes information about members such as studio, type of work, location etc. If they do know of a colour darkroom, it would be run by a professional likely using an analog-digital-transitional set up (in other words, phasing analog out over time) and would doubtless charge you for it; I don't think such a pro would let you rip in the darkroom unless you have a lot of experience. Setting up one's own colour darkroom is the preferred way, but the difficulty of obtaining chemicals has deterred many from this pursuit.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    The chemicals have been a piece of cake to get. They have them at Vanbar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I also have to admit that getting the chems is not overly difficult - cut paper is harder and would typically need to come from o/s OR buy it in rolls and cut it your self (yikes)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Also try Mick Fagan... he seems to do a lot of RA4

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin