Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,957   Online: 1218

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Major jobo issue with 3010 tanks and chromes

I've only had this happen a couple times with b+w but with tonight's second round of e-6 (kodak 5 liter kit, fuji provia, speed 4 on cpp-2), half the chromes fell out of their slots and onto the opposite piece of film. I only rotate the drum in both directions for the first minute of each step. I'm using 250ml of chemicals. The results in each of the five tubes are one good chrome, one that's not bleached or fixed. I re-ran the bad ones through the bleach and fix cycles and got okay results (the color isn't spot on). The sheets seem so loose in there. What the hell is going on?

I'm doing everthing at 100 degrees including the washes.
    Do your chromes come out and stay curled up in the shape of the tube they were processed in? Mine do with E-6 only. Can that be prevented?
    Last edited by wildbill; 02-27-2012 at 08:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you rotating by hand or on a Jobo?

For questions, and new & used Jobo parts: Get in touch with Dave Smith of Electromechanical Services in LA, CA. He is a trained Jobo repair person and has some parts in stock, both new and used. His prices are very reasonable. His phone No. is 1-323-227-1869 and his email is joboman@aol.com. If you call, leave a message, he and his wife never answer the phone, but they will call back for a message. I have bought Jobo parts, an apron for my drum dryer and enlarger parts. Great people.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Why are you only rotating bi directional for one minute?
    The expert drums need are designed to transport the chemicals inside the drum evenly only when it is being rotated 1.5-2 full turns in EACH direction. there might just not be enough chemicals reaching the opposing sheet, due to the construction of the drum.

This is form the Jobo website
    " (Measure speed with reversing switch set for one direction of rotation for testing only. Reset to reversing directions before processing.)"

According to Jobo, (and Tetenal) Also You need at least 50ML of working solution for each BW 4X5 sheet, and at least 33ml for each C-41\e-6 sheet. Tetenal goes abit father to say that you need 50ml per sheet regardless.

From Jobo's website, the same page as above:

http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service_ana...pert_drums.htm

As you can see the reccomend the minimum to be at least 330ml for 10 sheets, i would say that a really low bare minimum.

Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bi-directional rotation isn't necessary in the expert drums, I confirmed this with my own tests a couple years ago and with greg from omega satter. I'm doing everything exactly the same as with b+w processing where I have ZERO problems. I am using the minimum chemicals and the results are fantastic, no different than using 500ml. I do have to mix additional fixer to prevent exhaustion but that's not a problem. If you read my post, the issue is sheets coming loose and landing on top of the adjacent sheets. I thought maybe it could be the provia but it's happening to velvia and velvia 100 as well.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    ...speed 4 on cpp-2), half the chromes fell out of their slots and onto the opposite piece of film...
    How fast is your CPP-2's "4?"

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...l=1#post836600

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Old model. My speeds increase beyond speed 4. No issues with b+w film at that speed.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ii'm sorry. ill read the OP again.

It seems as though greg, uses and demostrates a clear expert drum (which is BTW totally cool) in bi directional rotation.
    The post quoted here from LFF has this in it:
    (Only use the single direction rotation for determining the correct speed dial settings. Always use bi-directional rotation when processing film or paper.)

I think that would be a good place to start to see if it may have an effect on your problem.

Is there an advantage to processing in one direction?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The OP stated using 250ml, Jobo states 330ml for 10 sheets. Give that a try, and also rotating in both directions for the entire time. Process of elimination of the variables, good place to start is the manufactures instructions. Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin