Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,594   Online: 857

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus
    It may be noteworthy that Aristophanes and I had a quite civilized exchange which we continued via PM, again, in a civilized and friendly fashion. I am interested in opinions which differ from mine but don't accept them at face value when I think they are incorrect and/or based on wrong assumptions. It would be highly unfair for me towards Aristophanes to further comment on his postings as he is no longer part of APUG. Please note that I was neither part nor factor in Aristophanes' recent decision to leave APUG.
    I am sorry to hear that Aristophanes has chosen to leave APUG. I would call on all of us to be more civil towards each other. While I can't say I've agreed with everything CGW & Aristophanes have said, I have found in my conversations with CGW (I don't recall having replied to Aristophanes' posts) that he has been quite civil. Those of us on Team Ostrich should be civil towards those of Team Doom & Gloom, and likewise the D&Gers should be civil to those on the Ostriches.

SHOOT MORE FILM!!
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One cannot delete one's own posts - the moderators have to do it for you. I think of this as the "Aggie effect" .

I would assume that the deletion would have been at Aristophanes' request, or at least with his agreement, because his posts were always thoughtful, even if they had the tendency to incite argument.

In essence, he was speaking economics - there is good reason that economics is also known as the "dismal science".
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well that's no good, he put a lot of time into what he wrote. I actually he found him to be the most civil out of the two, at least he responded to my PM's.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Anyone curious can reread your contributions to those threads and judge for themselves. Unfortunately, Aristophanes posts are gone except for those quoted in your responses, though that's sufficient. Too bad you didn't convey the civility in public you supposedly did privately. My comments stand.
    Anyone who wants to double check, the most prominent threads are here and here and here. In my opinion it was a rough but honest exchange, both Aristophanes and I had some good arguments, some less good ones and some polemic was certainly thrown around. I stand behind every line I wrote. Since, as you already said, I quoted the passages I responded to, everyone is free to reconstruct my public conversation with Aristophanes. One thing I did note, that hiding behind the barrage of Aristophanes' arguments you, CGW, decided to wait for opportunities to snipe at people engaged in this conversation, sometimes just as minor disturbance, sometimes inciting sarcastic remarks from Team Ostrich. Look at your comments towards Henning Serger to see what I mean. You, CGW, should be the very last one to complain about lack of civility in these discussions.

To all those mourning or commenting Aristophanes' departure from APUG: I don't think one can delete all his own postings, especially older ones without the help of administrators. I have witnessed the recent very similar departure of another APUG member and from what I heard there was communication between him and moderators before the decision was made to delete all his postings. When I discovered that Aristophanes left APUG I looked through the last conversations where he was involved (from quotations) and the last time he was quoted was something in the line of "analog users are mostly nostalgic folks who found an old camera in their grandpa's stuff". If this was really his most recent line of argument, I can see how he ran into trouble with the mods. As mentioned previously it would be unfair to rag on Aristophanes' postings now that he can no longer respond.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just think the guy lacked integrity if he came here to preach "truth" while at the same time cutting into people. Where's the dedication? Surely he could deal with arguments and disagreements but if he bails just because he can't keep playing doom and gloom a 100% of the time then perhaps he shouldn't have shown up in the first place.

It's sad in a way what motivates people.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    Anyone who wants to double check, the most prominent threads are here and here and here. In my opinion it was a rough but honest exchange, both Aristophanes and I had some good arguments, some less good ones and some polemic was certainly thrown around. I stand behind every line I wrote. Since, as you already said, I quoted the passages I responded to, everyone is free to reconstruct my public conversation with Aristophanes. One thing I did note, that hiding behind the barrage of Aristophanes' arguments you, CGW, decided to wait for opportunities to snipe at people engaged in this conversation, sometimes just as minor disturbance, sometimes inciting sarcastic remarks from Team Ostrich. Look at your comments towards Henning Serger to see what I mean. You, CGW, should be the very last one to complain about lack of civility in these discussions.

To all those mourning or commenting Aristophanes' departure from APUG: I don't think one can delete all his own postings, especially older ones without the help of administrators. I have witnessed the recent very similar departure of another APUG member and from what I heard there was communication between him and moderators before the decision was made to delete all his postings. When I discovered that Aristophanes left APUG I looked through the last conversations where he was involved (from quotations) and the last time he was quoted was something in the line of "analog users are mostly nostalgic folks who found an old camera in their grandpa's stuff". If this was really his most recent line of argument, I can see how he ran into trouble with the mods. As mentioned previously it would be unfair to rag on Aristophanes' postings now that he can no longer respond.
    Gotcha!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have limited myself to APUG over the last month or two as I found it nasty of late,,,, what is this Team Ostarich and Team Doom and Gloom.... I guess I fall into team Doom and Gloom...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I have limited myself to APUG over the last month or two as I found it nasty of late,,,, what is this Team Ostarich and Team Doom and Gloom.... I guess I fall into team Doom and Gloom...
    Some people were accused of having their heads in the sand in regard to the future of analog film, and the strongest proponents, of which I may be one, were termed Team Ostrich. On the other side of the spectrum there are folks who proclaim that the end of analog film is near, these were termed Team Doom&Gloom. Both terms were coined here on APUG so may be unknown in other forums.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    The various Kodak "wake" threads verged on bar fights, sadly. This "Team" stuff lightens things up and defuses the angst.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Anyone curious can reread your contributions to those threads and judge for themselves. Unfortunately, Aristophanes posts are gone except for those quoted in your responses, though that's sufficient. Too bad you didn't convey the civility in public you supposedly did privately. My comments stand.
    I'm sorry, CGW, but I have to defend Rudeofus here. A few weeks ago I was pretty rude to somebody (with whom I believe he also disagreed) and he was quick to call me on it. He also did it privately because he did not want to further a shitstorm that was going on.

Edit: My apologies that I did not read the kiss-and-make-up part of this thread before writing this response. Aristophanes gone? Too bad, he is a pretty smart guy. But one shouldn't let a little flame war affect one's self *that* badly.
    Last edited by pbromaghin; 03-12-2012 at 12:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin