Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,221   Posts: 1,532,339   Online: 1075
      
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42
  1. #21
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    22,972
    Images
    65
    C41 developer uses HAS and Sulfite to stabilize it against oxidation. The ECN developer has no HAS. In comparison tests, the ECN developer should have roughly 1/2 to 1/4th the stability wrt aerial oxidation. The developer concentrates should have the same lifetimes in either case.

    The color developer part is packed under Sulfur Dioxide gas and if you don't believe me, give it the old sniff test when you open it. Once open, that gas is gone and the best you can do is use dry nitrogen to TRY to protect the developing agent. Once it turns coffee colored (either concentrate or working strength) then the developer is probably dead.

    PE

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    I think your C41 developed vision film scans are not good , even terrible.

    Write to Technicolor Labs and try to open an account. As someone wrote at first link in the thread , it would cost only few dollars to get a development in most technologically developed lab in the world.

    If you keep taking this kind of pictures , dont blame the film and try to buy few ansel adams catalogs and find what can be the photograpic art.

    Umut
    Thank you for the advise, will write to them about it. Another issue is that I reside in Singapore, thus shipping 1-2 rolls may not be feasible.

    As for the photographic content, they are not competent photographs artistically speaking. Pardon for that. I am showing to see how are the colours in relation to real ECN-2 process when I asked for more photos of real ECN-2 process.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    C41 developer uses HAS and Sulfite to stabilize it against oxidation. The ECN developer has no HAS. In comparison tests, the ECN developer should have roughly 1/2 to 1/4th the stability wrt aerial oxidation. The developer concentrates should have the same lifetimes in either case.

    The color developer part is packed under Sulfur Dioxide gas and if you don't believe me, give it the old sniff test when you open it. Once open, that gas is gone and the best you can do is use dry nitrogen to TRY to protect the developing agent. Once it turns coffee colored (either concentrate or working strength) then the developer is probably dead.

    PE
    By the way, what is the long form for HAS? I could not search the full term online.
    I will rebottle the chemicals to smaller containers, however as you have mentioned, oxygen will get in nonetheless during the rebottling process. Assuming I rebottled it and used dry nitrogen to purge out the air from container, any indication how long will it last when it is unmixed (Part A and B separate) condition?

  4. #24
    Mustafa Umut Sarac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    İstanbul - Türkiye
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    3,809
    Images
    108
    Sweat100 , if you read again , PE indicates oxygen in water.

  5. #25
    Mustafa Umut Sarac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    İstanbul - Türkiye
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    3,809
    Images
    108
    Sending 2 rolls to USA is not feasible but making 100 liters developer for 2 rolls is feasible. Great logic.

  6. #26
    kb3lms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Reading, PA USA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    696
    Images
    5
    Have you seen this posting:

    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/5...lm-stills.html

    It gives a DIY formula for ECN-2 developer. Last I checked you could get CD-3 at Artcraft:

    http://www.artcraftchemicals.com/pro...chemistry/a-m/

    Not sure how that works from Singapore, though.

    It's on my list to try after some of my current projects have run their course. And I find a can of daylight ECN-2 film for a reasonable price (aka cheap) on the big auction site or something. Or, curiosity gets the best of me and I just go for the tungsten balance.

  7. #27
    Athiril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,496
    Images
    28
    I ordered some CD-2 from artcraft some time back, he doesn't send outside U.S. on many things anymore etc, as he's never been supposed to be doing in that in the first place unfortunately iirc.

    Although you could try a shipping proxy, ie: he sends to a U.S. and they forward it to you, works great with many things.
    Last edited by Athiril; 03-13-2012 at 10:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  8. #28
    Athiril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,496
    Images
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by sweat100 View Post
    By the way, what is the long form for HAS? I could not search the full term online.
    I will rebottle the chemicals to smaller containers, however as you have mentioned, oxygen will get in nonetheless during the rebottling process. Assuming I rebottled it and used dry nitrogen to purge out the air from container, any indication how long will it last when it is unmixed (Part A and B separate) condition?
    Hydroxylamine Sulphate, it's in part B of the Flexicolor kit
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroxylammonium_sulfate

  9. #29
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    22,972
    Images
    65
    If you repack the concentrates in a nitrogen glove box, the keeping properties are very good, but if you repack or use part in ambient room conditions and then try to blanket the developer concentrate with nitrogen it will not work as well. If you use nitrogen over the mixed developer in a full sealed bottle, it should keep for 1 - 2 weeks unused.

    IDK for sure. It has been years since I worked with the ECN developer. I may have to re-read some of my own work on this to give more information. Try this: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3615503.pdf

    PE

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Sending 2 rolls to USA is not feasible but making 100 liters developer for 2 rolls is feasible. Great logic.
    Perhaps I did not make myself clear enough. I intend to shoot Vision film for the next 1 year (since you knew that I already got 2 tins of film for a start). I do not mind sending to US 2 rolls to develop and see the results. After posting and reading up on this forum, the consensus I get from the discussion is that C-41 is not suitable at all thus I would need to source the chemicals locally when I am doing it for the long run.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin