Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,482   Online: 903

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thank you for the post, I have read it. Will be consolidating the list I got from the thread and the helpful post on this threads on the labs to go to.
    With regards to mixing your own ECN-2... Getting some of the chemicals components maybe difficult here. Kodak also did a publication on their chemicals list as well.

Perhaps you can find some short ends on eBay and film production houses which I read about in here.

Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    Have you seen this posting:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/5...lm-stills.html

It gives a DIY formula for ECN-2 developer. Last I checked you could get CD-3 at Artcraft:

http://www.artcraftchemicals.com/pro...chemistry/a-m/

Not sure how that works from Singapore, though.

It's on my list to try after some of my current projects have run their course. And I find a can of daylight ECN-2 film for a reasonable price (aka cheap) on the big auction site or something. Or, curiosity gets the best of me and I just go for the tungsten balance.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    If you repack the concentrates in a nitrogen glove box, the keeping properties are very good, but if you repack or use part in ambient room conditions and then try to blanket the developer concentrate with nitrogen it will not work as well. If you use nitrogen over the mixed developer in a full sealed bottle, it should keep for 1 - 2 weeks unused.

IDK for sure. It has been years since I worked with the ECN developer. I may have to re-read some of my own work on this to give more information. Try this: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3615503.pdf

PE
    Thank you PE for the insights. I will download the pdf and have a read on it. I will see if i can make my own semi-nitrogen glove box with a big plastic bag.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    Hydroxylamine Sulphate, it's in part B of the Flexicolor kit
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroxylammonium_sulfate
    Thank you! I chanced upon your blog while reading on ECN-2. You do quite a number of alternative processes. Wonderful!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Perhaps I did not make myself clear enough. I intend to shoot Vision film for the next 1 year (since you knew that I already got 2 tins of film for a start). I do not mind sending to US 2 rolls to develop and see the results. After posting and reading up on this forum, the consensus I get from the discussion is that C-41 is not suitable at all thus I would need to source the chemicals locally when I am doing it for the long run.
    PE ,

Would it be possible to buy powdered chemicals and make for example only two liters of developer ? Do ECN2 powdered chemicals durable for long time ?

Umut

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I regularly mix a DIY ECN-2 formula from dry chemicals and it works just fine. I think the vision 3 films are awesome - If I can find some of my scans, I will post a couple here. The one below was done on a cheap scanner - film was Vision 3 250D

Printing analog in a darkroom would produce lower contrast prints, but adding some hydrogen peroxide to the developer (10ml/L) brings the contrast up nicely (Thanks Photo Engineer for putting that suggestion in another APUG thread).

I love shooting stills on movie film so much that I have started to stockpile the stuff! So far everything I have tested has still been good. I picked up some allegedly cold stored ECR 200T recently for little money - rather old, can't wait to test. If the colors are off maybe I can use it for b&w!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chesterfrost15.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oh, and as to storage life of dry chemicals, they seem almost indefinite. Some of the ingredients used to process the image in my last post were almost 30 years old. The chemical most likely to go bad is the CD-3 -- but by way of comparison, I still have some CD-4 that I bought in 1987, and could still use for C-41 (I'd have to boost the amount by 20% or so because its effectiveness is slightly reduced).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dry chemicals work just fine and will keep nearly forever dry (except for the color developing agent itself).

CD4 is used in C41 and CD3 is used in the ECN process. These two developing agents yield different dyes with different hues and different stability. Crossing films between processes cause faults in dye hue and image stability that you may not wish. But then, I have said that over and over about this type of cross process as well as the cross between E6 and C41.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Newcan1 , that is excellent news. Where do you live ? Can you sell some dry powders to Singapore to Sweet100 ?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Mustafa: I live in the US (Tennessee). I'm sorry but I'm not really in a position to supply the chemicals. However, I obtain them from artcraftchemicals.com, digitaltruth.com, and photoformulary.com. I don't know what overseas shipping would be, but each place sells in relatively small quantities.

For sodium carbonate I have found it perfectly acceptable to use washing soda. There is also a supplier called chemistrystore.com that sells some of the more basic chemicals (borax, sodium carbonate, sodium sulfite - don't remember which are used in ECN-2 developer) in larger quantities quite inexpensively, but again, shipping may be your issue. You may find some of these chemicals available more locally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had problems sourcing Antifoggant AF-2000 when I first mixed my own ECN-2 developers. However, I got it from Kodak a while ago, but I had to buy 10 litres. It should be very stable and keep well. I might be able to send a little bit for those who really need this. PM me if interested. The developer will work at least quite well even without the antifoggant, however.

Dry CD-3 seems to keep quite well, I have had it from 2008 or so and it's still working. It has caked up a bit. AFAIK, it should change its color and appearance when it's going bad.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin