Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,366   Online: 1038

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

ECN-2 and C-41 image color differences

I recently gotten a tin of Vision 3 250D and 500T negatives. I read about the differences between the 2 processes from the colour developer and the rem-jet layer. May I ask if anyone had tried to process these film in both ECN-2 and C-41 to see what are the exact differences in color rendition from the same scene. The images I found on flickr are movie film developed in C-41, not ECN-2.

If there are real siginificant differences that cannot be corrected by scanning, I probably have to purchase ECN-2 chemicals (100L!) from Kodak since mixing them would be difficult due to chemical sourcing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the link. I actually meant the same vision 3 film processed in both C-41 and ECN-2. Hope its clear this way.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Dont ruin your tin of film with C41. These films are terrible with C41 , definite loss. This subject told in APUG and widely discussed and single solution for 35 mm photographers was to tape the 3 foot or longer film to cinema films end and develop with it at a professional film lab for cinema business. Cost was 10 dollar and I cant remember the labs name , this was the only lab which decides to help after long research.
    Someone would post the labs name or search the APUG.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Sweet100 , look to this thread. Dale Lab does the ecn 2 processing. You will get lower contrast as Photo Engineer told.
    Wellcome to APUG.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/5...lm-stills.html

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Someone writes :

Technicolor has a $50 minimum which we never meet. We've done 20-30 rolls for less than $50. We don't mess with the rem-jet anymore. Just let the lab do it. Look up The Camera Shop in St. Cloud, MN. The still process single rolls SFW (C-41) style.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Remjet is not difficult to take off.

ECN-2 film last time I processed it in C-41 it came out absolutely unusable rubbish, I was using 5201 50D. Anyway, it looks good in ECN-2 chemistry (duh), also works well in split-bath applications.

As for remjet, if you agitate with an alkali prebath, you'll soften it and get some of it off, agitate it plenty, whatevers' left shouldn't budge during processing and can be removed at the end, don't forget to rinse several stops or stop and rinse to neutralise the pH again.

I've also not used a prebath and processed one shot before, I've read warnings about mishandling and getting remjet lodged into the emulsion, but this didn't seem to happen processing like this (logically if it did, it would also happen in the prebath), and wiping it off at the end still works fine, as there's none left in solution.

I squeegee it off with my thumb and finger with disposable nitrile gloves on into water, until it's completely clean with no more black coming off or in the water etc, which I wash one more time and stabilise the film from there.

Last time I ran it:

50D in ECN-2 test #1 by athiril, on Flickr

ECN-2 chemistry isn't expensive, it's a special order item via the catalogue via someone with a Kodak account. I managed to get it even over here.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Dont ruin your tin of film with C41. These films are terrible with C41 , definite loss. This subject told in APUG and widely discussed and single solution for 35 mm photographers was to tape the 3 foot or longer film to cinema films end and develop with it at a professional film lab for cinema business. Cost was 10 dollar and I cant remember the labs name , this was the only lab which decides to help after long research.
    Someone would post the labs name or search the APUG.
    Thank you for the reply. There is a local lab here in Singapore that does ECN-2 processing, however given our short roll of 36 frames, it is not possible for him to do it. I suppose I will need to get ECN-2 chemicals myself as after reading the post C-41 is not the right chemicals at all. Alternatively, where can I get the CD-3 to mix the chemicals myself? I do not see it in adorama and freestyle photo.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    Remjet is not difficult to take off.

ECN-2 film last time I processed it in C-41 it came out absolutely unusable rubbish, I was using 5201 50D. Anyway, it looks good in ECN-2 chemistry (duh), also works well in split-bath applications.

As for remjet, if you agitate with an alkali prebath, you'll soften it and get some of it off, agitate it plenty, whatevers' left shouldn't budge during processing and can be removed at the end, don't forget to rinse several stops or stop and rinse to neutralise the pH again.

I've also not used a prebath and processed one shot before, I've read warnings about mishandling and getting remjet lodged into the emulsion, but this didn't seem to happen processing like this (logically if it did, it would also happen in the prebath), and wiping it off at the end still works fine, as there's none left in solution.

I squeegee it off with my thumb and finger with disposable nitrile gloves on into water, until it's completely clean with no more black coming off or in the water etc, which I wash one more time and stabilise the film from there.

ECN-2 chemistry isn't expensive, it's a special order item via the catalogue via someone with a Kodak account. I managed to get it even over here.
    By the way, the ECN-2 chemicals you got are the minimum quantities that Kodak sells? If I did not recall wrong, it mixes up to 100L of working solution!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sweat100 View Post
    By the way, the ECN-2 chemicals you got are the minimum quantities that Kodak sells? If I did not recall wrong, it mixes up to 100L of working solution!
    Yep, part A of the developer is a 20L cubicontainer that is rather annoying to lift up high and pour a small amount into a small beaker. Also very heavy to carry home, lucky I had one of them courier trolleys and it took it on the tram and train.
    Part B is manageable though (the developer part) and comes in 5L containers.

Here is a list of the Australian prices/catalogue, I paid a small premium on top, prob 10%-15% iirc, as the business special ordering it in for you gotta get their cut for their time as well.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...kFIdU1yVVJUTnc

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin